Home Career & Education

How to pursue a career as FX TD?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I posted a topic before asking for advice to choose a school to pursue a career in VFX industry for a completely beginner with no clear vision. After searching intensely in various areas in VFX I see myself doing FX (Houdini), how could I become a FX TD? which basic skills and tools I need to be aware of before stepping into Houdini? I'd prefer having online course to have the chance to network with students and mentors. I checked CG spectrum Houdini course (10 months) and it says it's recommended to have 3d principles before enrolling for the course, what principles I should learn?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    I would suggest following the advice from the other thread. Get Blender, and start learning how to make 3D models.

If you're passionate about learning VFX, then start doing it. 

Make a topic in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques. Every time you finish a day working on your 3D, post a screenshot or a render. Keep posting your progress, and keep learning. If you keep sharing your work, you will get responses and feedback, and this will help you solve roadblocks and find learning resources. For example: https://polycount.com/discussion/184654/why-youre-not-getting-any-replies/p1 
  • AhmediMG
    I would suggest following the advice from the other thread. Get Blender, and start learning how to make 3D models.

If you're passionate about learning VFX, then start doing it. 

Make a topic in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques. Every time you finish a day working on your 3D, post a screenshot or a render. Keep posting your progress, and keep learning. If you keep sharing your work, you will get responses and feedback, and this will help you solve roadblocks and find learning resources. For example: https://polycount.com/discussion/184654/why-youre-not-getting-any-replies/p1 
    Appreciate your advice a lot. 
    So any other tool I need to learn with blender/later after?
    I'm just trying to have a vision of what I'm going through so I can set a long term plan for it
  • Eric Chadwick
    Don't worry about long term plans. They are always shit. Be flexible, work towards small goals, and reevaluate continuously. Choose a small single model to create, then create it and go from there. Don't over think it, that way fosters paralysis. 
  • AhmediMG
    Don't worry about long term plans. They are always shit. Be flexible, work towards small goals, and reevaluate continuously. Choose a small single model to create, then create it and go from there. Don't over think it, that way fosters paralysis. 
    Got your point