Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elf bust sculpt

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
been practicing to be able to make characters besides props/environment looking for comment and crit

Replies

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Do you have a concept piece you're going off of? I recommend doing quick 30min - 1hr long planar face studies. Right now the face is missing some critical plane changes, the one that stands out to me the most is the orbital inset.

Asaro Head ref
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have a piece i am going off of, i am unsure what the orbital inset is though and the a coursery google search did not come up with anything. I have gone back and fourth with trying to do a piece that i wanted to make and straight up studies like how you are describing, the face has been the hardest thing for me to grasp so i have been focusing on that.

Here is the reference:

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Check out the profiles of heads and skulls and note the depth of the eye socket (Orbit). Broadly speaking, the skull shape is lacking. 

In your next wip post, if you could post imgs without hair as well. I'd be happy to comment n crit

• allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the images without the hair, i will do some studies in the meantime to try to understand this better

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Biggest thing I can see is that your skull seems to connect into the jaw, where it should come in behind the ears. And the lack of orbital inset is much more obvious without the hair. What we mean by the inset are the holes in the skull where the eyeballs sit, have a good look at bkost's references in the post above. 

This is the image I always have open when I sculpt faces, whether you're going for something realistic or stylised. 

One of the best things I've done recently is to start my faces by pushing my concept to one side and instead blocking in the planes of the face. Focus on the boney landmarks: The jaw, cheekbones, chin and brow. Once I have them in place, it's then super easy to move things around to match up with the proportions of the concept. 

I've also started modelling the eyeball and eyelids separately then merging the eyelids into the rest of the head when I have the proportions right.
  • javcop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javcop polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, looks like you've got a great start on a cool concept. Aside from what others have said, the profile stuck out to me since the skull seemed like a very round mass without a lot of the nuances you find on actual heads. I noodled around in PS to get you an idea of what I mean. I highly recommend just googling different sides of faces while working on this. Once you have more realistic proportions set in, then you can mess around with them to try and match this slightly stylized concept. Hope this helps somewhat and good luck!

• allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i am trying to incorperate the critiques into this, i had some time i put into this tonight so i will post the WIP but i dont consider this to be fixed yet

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    You've still got some work to do, but this is looking better already! Glad to see you're working on the planes of the face, looking forward to seeing where this goes
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone,

Still a lot of work to do!

I did not have a lot of time to put into it today but made some progress on it
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so at this point i am unsure what else i need to fix for the face planes if anyone can see what else needs to be fixed about this or is this good at this point?

• allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still plucking away at it not feeling like the high poly is done yet

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I like your project but the head need more defined shapes. The back of the head is to flat and the top is to height for "normal" human skulls.

Also I noticed that the cheeks are to flat. and her nostrils are to big. Also her upper lip needs more shape.
    I made an operpaint hope that helps :)