Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Swedish House+Environment

FernwehMind
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
FernwehMind polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone,
i'm Onur and this is my first post on polycount so wish me luck  :)

I made a dull,depressive Swedish environment scene for portfolio piece. But i got noone to ask any critique so if you can help me on how to improve  and what should be improved this scene i will be so appreciated. Actually any posibble way to improve through material,modeling,composition,lighting, you name it. ^^

*I planned and modeled house parts to be modular with the intention of practice modular modeling. Thus, house parts are completely modular as you can see.
*Terrain assets and materials are megascans from Quixel.
*lighting is stationary

Thank you all :)

Replies

• alytlebird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    You're off to a good start. :) The biggest issue right now is that the scene is very empty. It feels like the rockfaces in the background drop off into nothingness. Would be nice to see more background landscape as well as some atmospheric fog.

The house itself isn't bad, your materials are looking alright. The big issue right now is that the wood planks that make up the structure feel very thick, and you're lacking indications of construction, making the whole thing feel very unrealistic. Look at all the wood boards in your structure and make sure they are realistic in length and thickness; the angled trim along the edges of the roof looks chunky and like it's made of a single piece of wood. The red siding of the structure reads either as painted corrugated metal, in which case the ridges need to be smaller and more rounded, or like painted wood planks, in which case they should be more in-line with each other and broken up somewhere along the length of the surface. Study construction methods and keep a close eye on where surfaces transition from one piece/material to another, and show that transition with a separation in the mesh.

Last thing I'll say is that there isn't a story in this scene right now. If you make more props to scatter around outside the house, think about what story you want to tell, and it'll make the environment stronger overall. Who lives here? What kind of life do they life? What do they do for work/fun? Show us a story that answers these (and other!) questions and you'll wind up with a much stronger piece. :)
  • FernwehMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FernwehMind polycounter lvl 4
    You're off to a good start. :) The biggest issue right now is that the scene is very empty. It feels like the rockfaces in the background drop off into nothingness. Would be nice to see more background landscape as well as some atmospheric fog.

The house itself isn't bad, your materials are looking alright. The big issue right now is that the wood planks that make up the structure feel very thick, and you're lacking indications of construction, making the whole thing feel very unrealistic. Look at all the wood boards in your structure and make sure they are realistic in length and thickness; the angled trim along the edges of the roof looks chunky and like it's made of a single piece of wood. The red siding of the structure reads either as painted corrugated metal, in which case the ridges need to be smaller and more rounded, or like painted wood planks, in which case they should be more in-line with each other and broken up somewhere along the length of the surface. Study construction methods and keep a close eye on where surfaces transition from one piece/material to another, and show that transition with a separation in the mesh.

Last thing I'll say is that there isn't a story in this scene right now. If you make more props to scatter around outside the house, think about what story you want to tell, and it'll make the environment stronger overall. Who lives here? What kind of life do they life? What do they do for work/fun? Show us a story that answers these (and other!) questions and you'll wind up with a much stronger piece. :)
    Thank you very much for your critique.
    Actually first place i wanted scene to be empty and desolate, but i didn't realize that is too much empty. I'll definitely add more landscape to scene feel believable.
    If i understood you well, when you are say woodboards isn't realistic i guess you mean that woodboards hasn't any bevel so because of that it doesn't look realistic. Yeah i guess i agree with you, i'll definitely will work on that too. As for roof, firstly i modeled painted corrugated metal shape. Then somehow i didn't like how it looks and changed that with single plane with brick texture. I guess if i go back to corrugated model it would nicer as you said.  Thanks again, very much appreciated. :)