Home Adobe Substance

Workflow problems for baking, specifically in substance painter

YYEEAAAHHH
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
YYEEAAAHHH polycounter lvl 4
So I've always had this issue for baking in substance painter, I always get these small black dots/clipping around the edges of my model.  I try my best to make sure the high and low poly match up, I keep my UV islands pretty spaced out, I mess with the max and rear frontal distance in the baker settings. 

Is there anything else I should be mindful of so I can get cleaner bakes?  I also have marmoset toolbag and am considering trying my baking in there if painter keeps acting up.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    What padding and anti-aliasing settings have you used?
  • YYEEAAAHHH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually only mess with the rear and frontal distance for the baker settings.  I did mess with the dilation width and anti-aliasing though, they did help a bit.  Is there any other substance painter factors that could help?  If not, I'm pretty much blaming it on my modeling and need to shape that up.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hard to tell. Maybe post pictures of the highpoly, the lowpoly, the uvs and the normalmap(s).  
    But from what I can tell this looks very much as an issue from an very sudden change in the normals values from the normals map at the border of the mesh-shells.

Btw. This is just a side factor but by straightening your uv-shells where possible you can reduce the aliasing-effect.
  • YYEEAAAHHH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the UV shells laid out in 3 sets.  The first 2 are the main body outside and inside.  The last one is basically the outside sleeves that I'm having the trouble with.
    The normals for just the third set
    Low and high poly next to each other, they're almost 99% identical save for a few smell edges
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    See, you get exactly the expected result. 
    The baker bakes the area along the seams where the highpoly already turns inwards to form it's thickness. Your highpoly has jagged edges and that's exactly what we see on the bake. 

The issue is not substance nor the baker: It's your input
  • YYEEAAAHHH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the solution is to thicken the edges and smooth it out on the highpoly?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    At least that would be the first thing I would try.. (probably the thickness is not contributing a lot to this issue though)