Home Technical Talk

[Blender] Snap Mesh Component Along Specific X,Y,Z Axis Component [Solved]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
poly_troubleshoot polycounter lvl 3
Goal

Get components to line up when modeling for specifics

Issue

While I have the ability to snap to any given component (face, edge, vertex, etc), I can not find the option or hotkey that allows me to snap 1 component to another alone 1 axis exclusively

Version: 2.81

Steps Taken To Isolate Problem

Looked in the snap menu. Nothing relevant has appeared

Spent time browsing forums just to have people say it's impossible. I REFUSE to believe that this essential 3D function went over the heads of people who have been supporting and developing Blender for over a decade.

Solution

Click the transform gizmo tool from the tools menu instead of activating it with the [g] key. Set the snapping mode, then hold X, Y or Z while dragging the transform gizmo.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    - Set the snapping mode to whatever you want (for instance, vertex)
    - Select the component you want to move, enable the desired axis filter (for instance, zz for local z)
    - move your mouse near the desired component to snap to while holding the modifier key assigned to snapping (ctrl)

This does what you describe ... if I understood your description correctly. That said your description wasn't very clear in the first place and not proofread ("alone/along") so that doesn't really help :)
  • poly_troubleshoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running into that same problem again. Let me try to re-describe it. This is an orthographic view of a cube. Except it is not a cube. Because i accidentally moved the vert out of place. I want to put it back. Is it not possible to put it back EXACTLY where it needs to be in order to be a cube? Ignoring undo as a solution.

In Maya, I would just press W to activate the translate gizmo, hold X, then while holding X, mouse drag the desired component of the translate gizmo horizontally in order to "component snap" the out of place vertex back into the correct position.

This is very standard in 3D. Blender HAS to have something.

• FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    Set the snapping mode and either use the gizmo arrows or initiate the move transform and press the x y or z key to lock the desired transform axis.

• poly_troubleshoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much. I will update the solution