Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Loading Bay Heist

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JonJo interpolator
Hi Polycount, 

Here's my latest project, the Loading Bay Heist. The idea for the project is to tell a story of 3 skilled heisters who have spent months tunnelling their way to a bank vault through the wall of a loading bay in an abandoned factory. The scene consists of four areas, the loading bay, the break room, the vault, and the tunnel connecting the areas. I plan to create a cinematic for this scene showing the final minutes of the location before police arrive. By this point the gang will have loaded the loot, and been gone for several hours, but they have explosives to clear the vault and loading bay of any remaining loot / evidence. 

I'm still working destructively to make sure these areas feel realistic first before diving into cool composition shots, so don't go easy on me I don't really have any experience working with areas like this, so if you think something looks off, please let me know :)

The loading bay doesn't quite show a lot of the wear and tear that I would want for an abandoned factory, so I'll be making an effort to try and work in more damage and decay through the walls and support pillars. I'm also currently looking for a time effective solution to creating modular cables and wires which I want to be sprawling all over the scene (for things like explosives, tunnel light wires, power cables, etc.)

The break room is where I the group will be managing security, eating, and living while they slowly tunnel their way to the bank vault. I expect they've been here for roughly three months before making their get away, so I want to show that this place has been properly lived in and has all of the items someone would need to live here for that period of time. Lots of canned food, leisure space, sleeping space, bathroom, etc. 

Because of the size of the scene, I'll be using some megascans / asset packs to save me time. The tunnel recently had some megascans thrown at it to see how viable they might be for other parts of the project. 

The bank vault is the least developed part of the scene right now, I still need to open up all of those deposit boxes and litter cash around. I'm considering pushing the vault further by creating small gated off areas for private deposit boxes and areas for precious metal storage.

Cheers for reading, let me know what you think :)

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    No critiques here, looking forward to more.
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    Hey all

To make things more digestible, I've decided to focus mainly on the break room for the next few weeks of the project. This gives me a smaller space to worry about in this large scene. I've mainly been focusing on a refrigerator for the break room. The textures are super rough right now, but the base materials are there. I've thrown some basic textures on the fridge magnets which I want to use to help build the world and give some hints on the location and time period of the story. 

I've also been working on blocking in some tiling textures for the break room. They're pretty rough and I'm holding off on adding colour for a little while until I get some more props textured. 

Lastly, I got some blockout textures done for one of the planning whiteboard. I chucked on a very basic template of the plans for now, should be more complex when I've worked out more of the tasks performed during the heist. 

Also, wires if anyone's interested. The wires and tubing are stupidly high poly right now which I prefer to do for cleaner baking. I'll be removing a lot of loops when I've finished the texturing. 

That's all for this week, any feedback on the room or the fridge would be great :)

Have a good weekend!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Same as above, no critiques here, but excited to see how far you go with this :smile:

• JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    Been a bit of a slow week, just been tuning up some of my the main tiling textures. I've also been doing a bit more texturing on the fridge, but I'll save shots on that til I make some more progress. I've opted for a bit of a blue colour scheme for the moment, but I might play around with switching the wall to green and the floor tiles to a cream colour. 

Looking forward to pushing these materials and slapping on some decals :)

As always, lemme know what you think!

Have a good week all
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    It's been a very busy week, so I've just been working slowly on adding detail to the fridge and working on some extra bits to help give it some character and storytelling. The notices and signs are going to be propogated throughout the rest of the scene, and it's taken a bit of time to set up something good in Substance Designer to automate the process of adding normal, roughness and opacity to these. 

I've also added some cobwebbing to the underside near the compressor. These are also on their atlas and will be used in the rest of the scene. 

The base textures still need a bit of love in places, but I'd love to hear how you think it's coming together.

Hoping to get this one wrapped up before Friday! 
    -have a good week :)

• marco_3D_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marco_3D_artist polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, great job! Also, I love the texture on your fridge! looks real!
  • joaokalva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joaokalva polycounter lvl 3
    That's one very good looking fridge, I love the spider webs.
  • halldor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    halldor polycounter lvl 6
    oh wow, this is very ambitious. Love it 
  • SantiagoMedrano
    Aaaaah! Jonjo! Once again, your work is blowing me away! I saw your fridge on ArtStation and had to come read this blog post! It's looking insanely cool! That little detail with the ceiling tiles being slightly removed was gorgeous! Can't wait to see where you take this next!
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    @SantiagoMedrano
    @joaokalva
    @halldor
    Thank you guys, really appreciate the enthusiasm about the project! Just going bit by bit for now, we'll see how far I get :)

After a nice holiday break, I've slowly been getting back into the personal work, and I've been working away on this coffee machine. I decided to create a Bunn (VPR 658) Pour-o-matic, with a slight brand change. Textures and presentation are super wip.

Let me know what you think :)

Hope everyones had a good holiday break!
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    Oh that coffee maker is in the mountains based on the reflections that cought me offgaurd, looking good though.
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    @allmighty_thunder
    Haha yeah working on getting the marmoset reflections off. still not super fluent with the tool yet! cheers :)

Just a small update, I've been working on grunging and damage, probably want to push it a bit further still. still some stickers to get on there and some changes to the lighting set up for presentation. 

• JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    Hey Polycounters,

Long time no post! Been working on quite a few other projects, and preparing for some work related stuff in the real world. 

Been getting back into the swing of things over the past couple of weeks, dabbling here and there where I can with some prop work. I've also decided to split the scene for the meantime, keeping the break room separate from the rest of scene so I can bake my lighting quicker and change the layout significantly. 

Been working on my coffee machine textures, still a little way to go to get these looking finished, but i'm enjoying going slowly with this one 
    I've biffed the wood, I prefered it darkers, and I've left in some awful scratches I need to do some clean up on. I also did a step ladder and some wet floor signs / cones.

Looking forward to getting back into this!

As always, lemme know what you think :)