Home Technical Talk

Maya to Unreal 4 ncloth export issues?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Amank679 polycounter lvl 5
Hi All,

I'm working on my Daredevil environment and came across an issue with pillows I created for my couch model. When I export them out as FBX files for UE4 (4.22), They import as cubes with none of my ncloth detail present. I've deleted my history and froze transformations as well as deleting the nucleus.

Also, when I try to delete the actual ncloth manipulator asset, it strangely modifies my pillow model with half of it being the cube I mentioned above and the other half as the pillow detail.
Additionally, I've been following a youtube tutorial where enabling the shapes attributes in the outliner followed by deleting all assets besides the output cloth in the ncloth asset group helps with fbx exports, this sadly didn't work for me.

I've posted this under technical talk because I'm not sure if it's a Maya issue or Unreal issue.

Not sure what's going on and I haven't been able to find a concrete answer yet. I've attached the images below.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Yeah, it something to do with the FBX format "remembering" that its a cloth sim. I was recently running some sims that I would GoZ to smooth/decimate. As long as the mesh passed through Zbrush, it imported into unreal fine. You can try exporting as obj, either directly to unreal, or to reimport in maya and export back out as FBX - that should get it to "forget".
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Export it as OBJ file, it should fix the issue. I don't know why when exported as FBX it gives those problems and i don't know if it's a Maya problem only.
    Maybe by digging into the FBX settings it can be solved but i remember trying it some time ago without good results.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also do a normal Duplicate to get a model with no history, and export that.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:
    Export it as OBJ file, it should fix the issue. I don't know why when exported as FBX it gives those problems and i don't know if it's a Maya problem only.
    Maybe by digging into the FBX settings it can be solved but i remember trying it some time ago without good results.
    I'll try out the .obj option. Unity doesn't seem to have this issue as I've simply deleted history and imported it into the engine without any issues.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also do a normal Duplicate to get a model with no history, and export that.
    I actually tried that because I needed some model variations, but that didn't seem to work either.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:
    OBJ did the trick, thanks for that!