Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eerie House in the Woods [First Environment Project] [Feedback/Critique]

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LucasNazato polycounter lvl 4

Here it´s my first environment project, a house in the middle of the woods. Wanted to get an eerie feeling on this project as I started with the intent of finishing it before Halloween.
Modeling in Blender, texturing in Substance Painter and rendering done in Cycles.

Any feedback/critique is appreciated.

Ground texture from TextureHaven
Leaf/bark texture from cgbookcase
Grass texture from CC0 Textures

More images on my ArtStation page: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2GyWv

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Did you use any reference images for the lighting? It seems way too dark and is a bit difficult to look at due to this. I'd also like to see more trees, considering it is in the woods.
  • icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Punch up the ground fog a little bit. Also, increase the eeriness by creating a little visual storytelling element somewhere. Maybe the axe has blood on it. Or make something else seem not quite right. It's quality work but it seems like a cabin at night rather than something eerie/spooky.
  • LucasNazato
    Offline / Send Message
    LucasNazato polycounter lvl 4
    Did you use any reference images for the lighting? It seems way too dark and is a bit difficult to look at due to this. I'd also like to see more trees, considering it is in the woods.
    I only used references for the modeling of the house, not for the lighting, I have to admit I didn't even think about using references for the light, will keep that in mind for the next project.
    Since I wanted to get an eerie feeling I decided to make it darker, but it is indeed hard to see the house details.

The scene was meant to be a bit larger and there would be more trees around it, as if it was a clearing, but I decided to make it a bit simpler, should have changed the name of the piece haha.
    Punch up the ground fog a little bit. Also, increase the eeriness by creating a little visual storytelling element somewhere. Maybe the axe has blood on it. Or make something else seem not quite right. It's quality work but it seems like a cabin at night rather than something eerie/spooky.
    I thought about adding blood on the ground near the open door, but completely forgot about it, the project was taking a lot of time and I just wanted to finish it I guess.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!