Home Technical Talk

Sub-D Topology Probelm, Please Help

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Raise polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone, i try to achieve good topology in sub-d modeling, but i do not understand what to do in this case.
I know a lot of artist use zbrush to smooth problem areas (like long thin triangles, such as may appear in my case if i connect this vertexes) and then bake this mesh to low poly. But if i want get good result using only Maya, what i have to do?

P.S. I newbie to modeling, so if you can, help me please)

Replies

• FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    There's a couple ways you can approach this and it depends on whether or not the overall surface is curved or flat.

#1: the issue is there's an uneven or unmatched number of segments between the inside and outside shapes.
    #2: use less geometry on the outside radius and match the number of segments on the inside radius.
    #3: use more geometry on the inside radius and match the number of segments on the outside radii.
    #4: if the edge loops terminate on a flat surface and are behind a surface loop then it doesn't matter so leave them as is...

Two and three will work if the surface is curved. Two requires less geometry and works well if the corner is radiused but won't hold a blunt corner well. Three requires more geometry and works on both radiused and blunt corners. Four is quick and easy but only works if the surface is flat.

All of these examples are on flat surfaces with round overs, chamfers and bevels but the same principles apply to curved surfaces.

Here's an example of #2 holding a blunt corner. For this example it works because the distance is short and the support loops above and below are helping hold the shape. This wouldn't work as well on a longer chamfer or other odd shapes.

Personally I would lean towards #2 if the surface was curved and #4 if the surface is flat. Both work with radiused and blunt corners so it's down to efficiency. Barring some external requirement, limitations or shading error, it's generally acceptable to have triangles in subdivision models. Subdivision modeling is about letting the subdivision do the heavy lifting for you.

Generally speaking: if the edge loops terminate on a flat surface and look good when subdivided, it's passable. Avoid becoming tied up trying to create "perfect" geometry. Focus on creating efficient and functional geometry.
  • Raise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raise polycounter lvl 8
    Many thanks, I think I still have a lot to learn)
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Raise
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator

For this case, with odd or uneven geometry, it's usually used a triangle + "rhomboid quad" on that corner. If you apply a subdivision iteration it will look very well, clean and with a good smooth.

Of course, the mesh always need more cuts in order to get the "all quads look". Edge bevels like this one with 3 sides are used sometimes, but only when we need to work on very low poly subdivision models.

With the other case, you just need to add some cuts, and change the topology a little. It's not the best approach, because it generates polygonal tension with those 2 blue quads. 

Hope it helps.
  • Raise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raise polycounter lvl 8