Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate Ekko - League of Legends FanArt

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
HazeusView polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!
I finally finished this Ekko Fan Art based on the amazing concept of Roman Tishenin! (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5855ng)
This is my first hand-painted character and I had a lot of fun with it! 
I want to push myself to the next level, this means that I need your help, what you recommend me to do, to improve more? 
I really need your feedback, please let me know what you think!

Thank you!
(https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XB8EKn)

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    .You did a great job.
    I did what i could hopefully it shows what need to be done, your version is 2 seconds my edits are 8 seconds.
    Noticed you took liberties with the colors i just eye dropped from the concept and overlayed them.

Part are missing like the pouch, shirt x.  You can open the gif in photoshop and change my edit layer opacity to see what i changed, i think the ropes could've been bigger/thicker on the pants.  To many small edits to really mention & if your colors seem correct on your end you might need to calibrate your monitors colors.

Really nice concept, lucky you saw it 1st, hehe just kidding. ;)
    Took a long bit to do but i think it helps, nice work.
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    .You did a great job.
    I did what i could hopefully it shows what need to be done, your version is 2 seconds my edits are 8 seconds.
    Noticed you took liberties with the colors i just eye dropped from the concept and overlayed them.

Part are missing like the pouch, shirt x.  You can open the gif in photoshop and change my edit layer opacity to see what i changed, i think the ropes could've been bigger/thicker on the pants.  To many small edits to really mention & if your colors seem correct on your end you might need to calibrate your monitors colors.

Really nice concept, lucky you saw it 1st, hehe just kidding. ;)
    Took a long bit to do but i think it helps, nice work.

Thank you for your time, I really appreciated your gif!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Very quick note (since DavidCruz caught most everything else haha) but his skin is waaay light, compared to ingame ekko and also compared to the concept. Might be worth studying how light reflects and diffuses on darker skin tones so he doesnt appear so washed out, but also heres some notes because while the skin stood out to me the value ranges and undertones of all of your textures are a little flat.

Additionally, its worth noting that stylised textures like this often use quite a strong gradient on each material/color to draw the eye up the model. Its clear on the concept's shirt (clearly light at the top and dirtier/darker at the cuffs and waist) and also his arms (cooler and darker closer to the finger tips, warmer and brighter at the point of focus, his face).

This idea is briefly noted here, iirc:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb/9334-YDXV-8590/dota-2-workshop-character-art-guide#gradient

It's really close, I think you just need to push it that little bit more. Looking forward to seeing more from you, and congrats on the front page! :3
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero said:
    Very quick note (since DavidCruz caught most everything else haha) but his skin is waaay light, compared to ingame ekko and also compared to the concept. Might be worth studying how light reflects and diffuses on darker skin tones so he doesnt appear so washed out, but also heres some notes because while the skin stood out to me the value ranges and undertones of all of your textures are a little flat.

Additionally, its worth noting that stylised textures like this often use quite a strong gradient on each material/color to draw the eye up the model. Its clear on the concept's shirt (clearly light at the top and dirtier/darker at the cuffs and waist) and also his arms (cooler and darker closer to the finger tips, warmer and brighter at the point of focus, his face).

This idea is briefly noted here, iirc:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb/9334-YDXV-8590/dota-2-workshop-character-art-guide#gradient

It's really close, I think you just need to push it that little bit more. Looking forward to seeing more from you, and congrats on the front page! :3

Hey, thank you! Wow, I see what you said about the skin color, thank you for your notes!
    Yea, I knew about the value gradient, when I was painting I created a layer named Shadows, set on Multiply with a 30% opacity trying to give to the lower part of the model a darker tone, but it seems it wasn't enough, maybe too much opacity! 
    Anyway, thank you again for your precious feedback!

Without Shadows layer on the left ----> With Shadows layer on the right