Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fire Snout Shotgun

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
sxc4161 polycounter lvl 2
Waited a while to get this out there on Polycount, but hoping to get some feedback here. 

This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while. 
Project Name: Fire Snout

Purpose:
-Create weapon design from an original idea
-Design with FPS perspective in-mind
-Take through entire game weapon pipeline (design>highpoly/lowpoly>baking>materials>UE4)
-Present full process 

Weapon Concept:
Prototype combat shotgun with dynamically adjusting choke for optimal spread pattern across variable engagement distances.

[UPDATE]
Lowpoly Finished

Took a little tweaking, but I was able to get the highpoly model to bake down to the low poly relatively well. Since I'm trying to get this done by end of March, I need to move on to materials ASAP. (will address Normals artifacts later)

Baked Lowpoly model

Highpoly model

[UPDATE]
Lowpoly Finished
Been a while since my last update. Struggling for time, but finally have something to share. I finished the low poly model, (as well as UVs), and am ready to move on to baking the normal and AO passes!

Highpoly Pcount:
370,816 Tris
Lowpoly Pcount:

[UPDATE]
Highpoly Finished
Added addition construction details and props to make the design seem more grounded in reality. Aside from a few small touch-ups, I'd consider this high-poly version done. Going to move to Low Poly next. 

[UPDATE]
Discovered that the sight was too large and blocky and looked like something you'd find on an assault weapons or sniper rifle. Changed main sight design to be more streamlined.

[UPDATE]
Received some feedback regarding the silhouette not reading as a shotgun. Did some FPS perspective renders with HDR lighting and different materials to narrow down cause. 

[UPDATE]
Further refining general forms

[UPDATE]
Adding addition forms

[UPDATE]
Initial blockout and FPS perspective