Home Career & Education

What am I doing wrong? (unable to land on a job)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Neoferd polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys. I'm finding really hard to set foot on a job. Sent more than 30 CVs to the game industry in Brazil, 3 answered that they would analyze it and then no response for months. Not even a single interview. I'm having a hard time landing on freelancing too. Is my folio that bad? What can I do? Is it the lack of visibility? I'm getting sad since it seems I am unable to break in the industry. No need to work in AAA. I just wanted to work. I'm graduated on a bachelor for game design with focus on game direction, so I understand very well the entire pipeline for games.

Here is my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/neoferd

Thanks for your attention

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Don't get sad because you haven't gotten work yet. Everybody goes through a lot of rejection when trying to get a job in 3D. Just keep pushing forward!!

You need to be a lot more liberal with your poly count in a lot of your work. Your mobius suit is super cool, but the renders kinda suck. Try giving 3 or 4 different angles, but side by side, in one render. Your orc is cool as well, but it looks like you skimped on the poly count for the fur on his armour and his ear. I'm not sure about the GDI soldier, but remove the rest of your works from your portfolio. Compare your character art to that of a professional.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    your work is not up to the industry standard level of quality yet. That's the reason. But, I am assuming your orc is your latest piece? it stands out as a much higher level of quality than your older work. create few more pieces of the quality and remove your older work and your results will probably be a lot better. 

over all thoughts:

the presentation and renders are inconsistent in terms of posing, having a diorama base etc, it makes your portfolio feel inconsistent and jumbled, why do some characters get more love in the presentation department and others are floating renders? were you just bored with the project and didn't want to put in more time? it just raises questions for employers.

Wonder woman: the stylized proportions but semi photoreal texture style is a bit strange and not super visually appealing. it is that weird middleground between super stylized and a beginner model that didn't nail the proportions/ anatomy. the lips are super photoreal but the eyes are big and anime style, which makes it feel strange. 

the raveshaw: there is a lot of glow/bloom going on that makes it feel like there is vasoline on the lens and makes it feel super 90's in terms of the design. 

the 2 soliders look decent, but the presentation could be better with some form of base/posing etc. the materials could have more contrast in them for the metal/cloth/synthetic stuff in terms of roughness etc.

I hope this isn't too harsh, like I said in the beginning, your orc is definitely a big step up from the rest of your work, so pump out some new characters of equal or better quality to that and you will be on the right track. Like Ash said above, make a collage of some industry character artists portfolios and use those as a quality bar to hit. good luck!
  • Neoferd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoferd polycounter lvl 5
    For Ashervisalis:

You need to be a lot more liberal with your poly count in a lot of your work
    My goal was to keep the polycount of my work as low as possible without being too blocky. It backfired I guess. I'll try to keep them up in my next work. Thanks for the advice.

Your mobius suit is super cool, but the renders kinda suck
    Guess I'll need to work on my presentation a little bit more. I'll redo the renders.

Compare your character art to that of a professional
    I always do, but I find it hard to find what is the entry level. I've seen people with a lot simpler art than mine with jobs. But they weren't in the 3d for games.

For PixelMasher:

your work is not up to the industry standard level of quality yet.
    That sucks :#

I am assuming your orc is your latest piece?
    Here's the funny thing: it's my first one. The Wonder Woman is the latest. The thing is, I've tried to do something more stilyzed and based on the feedback of you guys it went very wrong.

why do some characters get more love in the presentation department and others are floating renders?
    These characters are actually from small jobs, they weren't personal art (with exception of raveshaw). Their resolution is hiper low poly also, so I didn't want to show too much detail. Should I upgrade/breakdown them and repost? Or create some kind of art dump folder?

Wonder woman: the stylized proportions but semi photoreal texture style is a bit strange and not super visually appealing
    Damn, I've invested so much time on this model. I thought that if I did something like Alita it would be cool. Guess not :/

it is that weird middleground between super stylized and a beginner model that didn't nail the proportions/ anatomy
    Gonna need to study more anatomy too

the raveshaw: there is a lot of glow/bloom going on that makes it feel like there is vasoline on the lens and makes it feel super 90's in terms of the design.
    That's the idea that I had in mind with the renders. It is from a retro game and it's design is kinda retro monster. Since it looks like vaseline, should I tone it down? Here is the original for comparison:

the 2 soliders look decent, but the presentation could be better with some form of base/posing etc. the materials could have more contrast in them for the metal/cloth/synthetic stuff in terms of roughness etc.
    They are models that target a non pbr engine, so that's why they look so flat. I thought that since they aren't hyper detailed, It wasn't worth it converting them and adjusting the textures so it looks 100% good on marmoset, but I also didn't want them to gather dust in my HD, so I've posted them. Like I've asked before, Is it worth the upgrade?

I hope this isn't too harsh
    Don't worry about being harsh. I'm here to listen and to grow. Also, thanks for taking your time for such a constructive and detailed critic!

like I said in the beginning, your orc is definitely a big step up from the rest of your work, so pump out some new characters of equal or better quality to that and you will be on the right track.
    I guess I'll need to stay away from stylized models for the moment then, since I did the Wonder Woman to be on par with the orc.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Your portfolio should only show the best quality of work. If you want to get hired, don't have outdated non PBR characters. Have the stuff that employers will be looking for current gen. Stuff that games have right now. Just because you did a job for a client doesn't mean it could be good enough to be in your portfolio due to their budget requirements. 

If you're looking for entry jobs you need to stand out. You are in a much larger pool of artists that want to get hired, meaning more competition. There are already people making AAA quality work looking for entry level jobs at the same time. Employers are going to pick skills first and not potential skills. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    You don't want to be trying to figure out what is entry level quality. You want to be figuring out how to achieve the best possible quality. Also, at a Gnomon presentation, some industry vets who do hiring said one issue they see on a lot of junior portfolios is too low of poly count. Modern video game characters are a lot higher in poly count than you'd think.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Don't compare your work to your previous work. Don't compare to your peers. Only compare to the best in the industry right now.