Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Orca - Critique appreciated

magnusvfx
triangle
Offline / Send Message
magnusvfx triangle
Hey Polycount! 
Decided to share my take on the famous boat The Orca (Quint's boat ) from the movie JAWS. and hope someone will give any feedback along this work. 
Thank you for your time!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks really good! My biggest complaint is the ORCA letters have rust stains running down from them. I've never seen rust do that before.
  • monagart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monagart triangle
    Nice models! I can't tell from the reference photos if the rust is also like that in the film, but I agree with the comment above. Something about the rust running down looks a bit off, maybe if it was faded out a bit it would look more realistic?

Apart from that I love the scene, Jaws is one of my favourite movies.
  • tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
    I think the boat looks amazing. You did great.
  • magnusvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magnusvfx triangle
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Regarding the rust on the ORCA letters, I am doing some tweaking in substance painter at the moment, and I have mainly been using this ref image from the movie to get the ORCA textures right. Still not sure if it is rust or dirt that is running down from the letters. 
    Will post some renders of my updated work soon.

cheers
  • scslover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scslover polycounter lvl 6
    The rust is fine - I would just adjust the colors to pull out some of the saturation slightly. Rust does stain like this, especially on boats... It's very common with fasteners, nails, chains and equipment.  Excellent work on the modeling and textures. 
  • magnusvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magnusvfx triangle
    Update on the ORCA letter surface. Still need to tweak the textures some more to get it to look like the one in JAWS.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Ah, I stand corrected.
  • magnusvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magnusvfx triangle
    Did some more tweaking in substance painter

• CSWorldBuilder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CSWorldBuilder polycounter lvl 4
    That's looking great and so much more similar to the ref shot. Feels like darkening the blue edges of the frame around the stern like in the ref shot will help accent the contrast in the orca letters and surrounding color. Great job and love seeing someone bring a part of this epic classic to life in 3D!
  • magnusvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magnusvfx triangle
    Thank you for the feedback CSWorldBuilder, I will adjust the texture on the frame around the stern, great suggestion.
  • sstrams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is amazing work! As a 3D guy and a HUGE Jaws fan who has seen the movie over 1500 times, I have to give you MAD props - no pun intended! Anywhere to get a copy of this? My only critique is a continuity thing: You're showing 4 barrels (actually have one yellow barrel in my dining room!) which means the model is at a point in time where Quint's already stuck the sharks with one barrel.. Which means we're past the point where Brody has been chumming the waters, so if you wanna be time period correct, you would need to add bloody chum stains to the back right side of the boat (by the cleat) where he was standing when he was chumming.. But, man, this is a first rate job - really, really good work.. TOUGH to find a pic from the movie, but here's a pic of a wooden model kind of showing what I'm talking about..