Home Technical Talk

Which is better for beginners, Blender or Maya?

I just started to learn about 3D modeling, Should I start learning 3D modeling and animation with a blender first then going to Maya or should I start with Maya from the beginning? Is there a huge difference between the two?

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    That's a tough question. If you are a student and have access to an official free version of Maya, I would say start there. The reason for this is that it is kind of a "standard" these days. The navigation habits you will build can help you navigate other software as well, and many of them have a kind of "maya" keymap included. Most studios will probably want you to know how to use max or maya anyhow.

Thing is, you really don't need to start with Maya though. You could easily start with Blender and use the Industry Standard Keymap instead. Most of the concepts you pick up will be the same. I personally went from Maya to Modo to Blender, and other than getting familiar with the interface, it was largely the same approach for everything. You won't be hurting yourself too much if you start with Blender (to learn the concepts), just do not, whatever you do, use the default keymap in Blender. It will just build muscle memory towards a very niche control scheme that won't help you pick up other software easily.

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    From what I have seen, maya is still the industry standard for animation
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Maya. Of course.

If you are a student or educator, you can get a free version of Maya easily. https://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/featured
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Maya is real easy to learn. It's very intuitive and has got great controls. It's the rest, meaning modeling and animation, that's the hard part. 

After a while, you'll probably be proficient in several packages anyway because once you know your job, you only have to learn how to do it with a different interface getting in the way.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are all cars and they will all get you where you want to go but just know, that if you want into some specific lanes you will have to pay the toll and get in the correct lane. Public transit take you to a lot of places but rarely does it take you to the exact spot you wanted to be, but it is cheaper.

That doesn't mean you can't drive in the regular lanes in a pretty nice car but if you want to do this as a job, then it will be incredibly helpful to be very comfortable with whatever those studios are using.

You can be unfamiliar with the software they use and still land a job, but there has to be something that puts you above everyone else that is preforming at the required level and already knows the software. To deal with the headache of training a person two things have to happen...

1) They have to have the right mindset. No one is going to voluntarily pull a toddler kicking and screaming through a grocery store while they pitch a fit. Accept that you'll have a rough time, keep your bitching to yourself and know it will get better faster if you don't resist the growth.

2) The talent displayed must be of an insane caliber, that they'll deal with the hit to production and allow for a longer ramp up time.

As far as learning, I don't think it matters a whole lot, because the concepts and ideas flow between all of the software packages. They roughly do the same things just in different ways. Some software has been battle tested in production settings over many years and it has been refined and molded by that experience. Some software has particularly quick and flexible ways to work and deal with problems where others might just brute force a particular method in a "hope you get it right" kind of way.

So really, you should look at where you want to work, what you want to make, how it's made and start working with the tools that will get you there.

Whichever you pick, don't become one of those ardent followers that is not willing to learn new software or adapt as things change, because they will. We're talking about 30-40-50 years in a particular field, it's going to change and you will need to adapt. Being one of those people that only fly one flag or worse talk crap about other software is going to shorten that career to 5-10 years, if you even manage to land a job in the first place. Nothing is worse than having to work along side someone who endlessly complains about what they're working.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    It's not clear whether you've career aspirations or purely a fun/hobby interest? Anyway if the latter both would fit the bill quite nicely but more so the FOSS alternative, simply due to 0$$ up front outlay and generally functionality as already mentioned differs between the two. Although that said Blender (2.8x) in my opinion slightly edges Maya on the hard surface front which is mainly attributed too ongoing inspired 3rd party non-destructive plugin development.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    If you take a look at job postings on the gaming companies websites they always say "Strong knowledge of Maya/3ds max required" so knowing Maya won't hurt.

Speaking for the software itself Maya has an organized interface and modeling is vey fast. It's heavily based on context menus and hotkeys for the main tools.
    Basically every tool has its own context menu and this allows you to work full screen and to be very fast at modeling. Just think that you can reset the pivot by using a gesture. Hold down D key ( or press 1 time ) that enable the pivot translation and then hold down the right mouse button, a context menu will appear, slide down the mouse and bam, pivot reset to the origin of the mesh. You don't even need to wait for the menu to appear if you want.

For non commercial use you can download the free student version. If you are not in school anymore simply insert the high school or university you used to go. I made my Autodesk student account when i was in high school and now that i'm 23 it's still valid.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    As a beginner a good thing about Maya is that it's also got the best rigging and animation tools, so If you get curios and want to try that out it's already there.

If you doing characters I think dabbling into rig and animation will help you understand the technical considerations of the job.more fully as well.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OP banned for tire-seller spam. But topic and replies are still valid, so it stays.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    "Strong knowledge of Maya/3ds max required"   is already  suggesting  the company cares not that much of what exact soft you are going to use .    If the job is assets making  aka 3d modelling nobody cares nowadays.       With Blender you are going to be slightly cheaper for the company too BTW.  

They write "3dmax or Maya"  just  because they consider it a bigger pool of workforce

With animation it's a bit more complicated. 

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    "Strong knowledge of Maya/3ds max required"   is already  suggesting  the company cares not that much of what exact soft you are going to use .    If the job is assets making  aka 3d modelling nobody cares nowadays.       With Blender you are going to be slightly cheaper for the company too BTW.  

They write "3dmax or Maya"  just  because they consider it a bigger pool of workforce

With animation it's a bit more complicated. 

If they didn't care about the software then they would write something along those lines "Knowledge of one of the main 3d modeling packages required" and i actually found some job posting like that.

They write Maya/3ds max because their pipeline is based around one of the 2 and they are quiete similar interface and tools wise because they are both Autodesk so it's easier to go from Maya to 3ds max instead of Blender to Maya. They both have their own quirk but the "Autodesk feeling" is still there.
    They could also have both softwares in the studio. It's not uncommon for big companies.

Also many game companies in their requirements write "Good knowledge of Maya required" without any other choice. VFX studios are even more strict.

Does this mean that you can't get a job if you use Blender ? No, however you will have less chance compared to an equal good artist using Maya and all the other softwares that the company states in their requirements.
    With Maya being free for non commercial use there is literally no reason for not using it. If you don't like the software you should still learn it, make a couple of artworks to demonstrate that you know how to use it and then go back to your favourite software.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Andreicus said:
    With Maya being free for non commercial use there is literally no reason for not using it. If you don't like the software you should still learn it, make a couple of artworks to demonstrate that you know how to use it and then go back to your favourite software.
    Just checked , couldn't find free one  non-commercial or not.  There was PLE Maya years ago, not anymore.

As of the  pipeline tool  you really just need to know how to export your work into Max for example for collaboration purpose when necessary or rather   straight to game editor.    I did use 3d Max for a few decades   and then switched to Blender gradually.      No issue whatsoever.    

10 years ago I would say  you are right.   Now with all big game engines working with 3d  assets exported from anywhere, every soft exporting fbx or alembic more or less fine   you can  model in whatever you are efficient .   Only what you kneed to know is how to export to "pipeline" properly and set materials in Max /Maya maybe  which would take you 2 days to learn.

Blender IMO is  easier to master than both Max and Maya  and it always stays with you in out of job times.

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    Andreicus said:
    Just checked , couldn't find free one  non-commercial or not.  There was PLE Maya years ago, not anymore.

As of the  pipeline tool  you really just need to know how to export your work into Max for example for collaboration purpose when necessary or rather   straight to game editor.    I did use 3d Max for a few decades   and then switched to Blender gradually.      No issue whatsoever.    

10 years ago I would say  you are right.   Now with all big game engines working with 3d  assets exported from anywhere, every soft exporting fbx or alembic more or less fine   you can  model in whatever you are efficient .   Only what you kneed to know is how to export to "pipeline" properly and set materials in Max /Maya maybe  which would take you 2 days to learn.

Blender IMO is  easier to master than both Max and Maya  and it always stays with you in out of job times.

The free version is the student version. You just need to create an Autodesk account. I still have my account from when i was going to high school and it's still fine.

For Blender been easier as you said it's a personal opinion. In my case i found that Maya is what i like the most so it's easier for me and i'm also way faster than Blender because the workflow is structured in a way that every tool has shortcuts and quick menus that allows you to model very fast without any thirdy party plugins.
    Maya also has some advanced tools and features that saves a lot of time while preventing headaches. You can have them in Blender too but you must rely on external plugins and even in that case most of them are not at the level of Maya.

Some examples: UV tools, circularize tool, if you scale a model in Blender while in object mode you must remember to freeze transformations while in Maya it doesn't matter because the tools ( like the extrude ) are agnostic to it, Arnold ( if you render offline ) and other stuff.

Also if you want to use Maya outside the job and you are a modeler/animator you can simply use Maya LT that's only 318 € per year, Maya Indie or the free student version if you don't do commercial works.
    I'm a Maya LT user at the moment because i do commercial works.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
     I still don’t know any major game studio using Blender. (Ok some individual use it some time but the pipeline exporter etc are still Max or Maya). While Blender is really good it doesn’t mean that it will allow you to work inside a company. Lots of companies still have their entire pipeline deeply integrated inside one software Maya or Max converting an entire pipeline is costing a LOT of money. Also transferring data’s from one software to another still result in some missing informations, bugs or problems ... It is getting better but we still encounter walls. I still recommand learning Max or Maya to get a job while using Blender aside. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am not sure how it's in major studios.   We have  Max pipeline.   Still animation guy works in Maya.   VFX one in Houdini.  .  Some people use very old versions of Max , many years before subscription,   because  they are working from home.      It's just not so big of an issue anymore.

You just have to know Max  to certain extent .

As of Maya  being more convenient  than Blender it's pure personal preference.  I find it otherwise. In fact I think Autodesk is borrowing ideas from Blender regularly.   I remember how everyone had been using Roadkill UV plugin in Maya few years ago while it was just a piece of Blender code.   

I suggest to  start with Blender because whatever you learn in your art school wouldn't grant you a job.   It's a matter of lack mostly to get a job in gamedev, or an art related job in general .   

And  Blender wouldn't be an extra financial burden for you to stay afloat professionally.  It still might be years after school before you find a job not for pennies  and years in between projects.   Art staff is dispensable and  gets fired first .
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Started MaxR2 at 14 years old, learned Lightwave at school, got my first job with Maya, got my second job with Max, stayed on max a lot at Ubisoft, moved to Film Industry with Maya, moved to EA Maya too, came back to Ubisoft 3DSmax. Learn Blender for fun. There are no rules as you can see, courage is probably the best thing to learn.
  • succubusmeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a student, as well, but in the beginning stages of my animation education! I always wondered which worked best, Maya or Blender? I'll be able to use Maya throughout my education, so it's nice to get some honest feedback as to what programs are most used and most reliable in the gaming industry.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    succubusmeat I think for animation Maya has the market still where studios are concerned. So right now if you are planning on getting paid work Maya would be a safe bet. All the same Blender is pretty nifty.