Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP]GameBoy Color

wirrexx
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx quad damage
So, I haven't been updating my stuff for a while, and since 2 weeks back I've been trying to get hand of Blender, leaving 3Ds max behind (still love max, but I can't afford it tbh). Why such a simple modell? This is mainly to get into Blender and also be my way in to improving my UVW and texture skills. For the past month i have been working on the game A Year of Rain (Early Access on steam) and have not done Hardsurface. And I have missed it a lot.

Here's a day 1 pass on it, and I will continue with it when I have time.

So for beginners who do not know where or with what I started I will try to explain it. Sorry for not having the first blockout.

1. I collected a lot of references, google and Pinterest, from every view I could find. I put them into a pureref file. BUT ORGANIZED. with that I mean, all left view photos are close to each other, right view photos close to eachother, front, back etc etc.

2. I took one picture from the front, one back, one left, one right, one up and one down. put them in photoshop and started to paint over how i wanted the edges to flow. And noticed, even though the biggest shapes are symmetrical, the button layout along with the side views are not.

3. box modelled the front and back (Big shapes) very rough, before separating them out in the first block out.
4. In the second block out, I put my concentration on the sides of the Gameboy, Because I figured those would be the hardest to do. Made some cuts and created the secondary shape on them, still no edgeloops.  and moved on to the back.

That's as far as i have gotten, and will try (no fingers crossed) to update it and explaining my workflow more and more.

To sum it up.

Collect a lot of references.
Modell the biggest shape first (no cuts, no indents, nothing, just the big shapes.
detach modells where it needs to be detached.
Progress with the blockout!

More to come.