Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Frank Daniel Moen Vedvik

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
kampfisken polycounter lvl 2
Hello!
I'm super receptive to both critique and suggestions, especially in regards to workflow. Please let me know how I can improve. 

Replies

• kampfisken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally have some time off work, so I started on a character project. I wanted to pick up a few new tools, and push for photorealism in UE4. I am building a 1920's Empire State construction worker. 

Started by blocking out body and a placeholder face, just as a frame to build on.

Experimented briefly with cloth in Blender, utilizing Modeling Cloth (https://github.com/the3dadvantage/Modeling-Cloth)
    Promising, but lack of clothing parameters and laboursome iteration process made me decide to abandon it. I caved in and bought an up to date version of MD later on. 

Started on the first of many accessories. I spent too much time box modelling these - sculpting them would have been faster. I started modelling stitches, but decided that was overkill, I can paint those in later.

There Has To Be A Better Way - but I don't know it. Laces won't be visible under the hem of the overalls anyways, so this was probably a waste of time. 

Started learning MD, took two days to get familiar and have a rough outfit I liked

Iterative process, kept adding, trimming, tweaking to start getting a shape I liked. Left felt too pressed and geometric, but adding more fabric and evening out distribution gave me the right one, which felt a lot better. At this point I decided to do a static pose rather than a rigged character. 

Quickly rigged and animated a pose, in order to sim clothing in the target position. Some fiddling gave me much nicer foldage(sp?)

Feelin' good so far. Decided to retopo my clothing, in order to have clean UV's and multiple subdivs when pulling into zBrush later on. This turned out to be a headache - would have been trivial in Maya, but Blender does not have the same options (Not the same flexibility that Maya's "Transfer Attributes" gives you.) Spendt an allnigher doing RnD

Blendshape shenanigans. Mission accomplished!

Good times, a bit of manual labor to stitch the segments, but this will hopefully pay off downstream.

Good vibes. Time for a break, next on my todo-list is blocking out the remaining accessories, clean them up, and then start on face/hand sculpts and clothing detailing. 

• kampfisken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warming up in zBrush before attempting to start cloth and flesh detailing. This took me way too long, so I have decided to start doing some daily speedsculpts to try and shake the rust. I just work too slow. 
    Based on a sketch by https://www.artstation.com/vilandiris

• kampfisken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monki 1, from memory

Monki 2, from reference

As it turns out, I don't know what animals look like. 
  • kampfisken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Struggling a lot with the cloth, but finally noodled the rough pose into something I like. Taking a break from folds to start on the hands and pose the fingers.