I haven't made a topic on Polycount in a looong time, but I have this on-going project that started really simple and then grew and then mutated and then got put to the side for a year. So I'm thinking that posting about it here can work as a kind of blog, and ventilate some of my thoughts and progress! I'll go chronologically so you can follow my thought-process and see the development as it goes!
I apologize before-hand for all the weird signature and fonts and stuff on the pictures, keep in mind this 'weekend'-project started in 2018..
I'll be as candid as possible and show all the pictures I have in this massive folder of mine. All the failed experiments and lessons learned. I hope someone can glean some knowledge from my mistakes!
I found this amazing concept by David Sladek, and Wildstar had shut down so I was sad about that and decided to make a little diorama with this great robot bird:
Over the weekend I spent a day blocking it out and getting it set up:
Finishing up the bird:
Did a quick diorama pedestal test:
At this point the diorama looked very much like a bird on a turd. I wasn't very happy with it, as you might suspect ^^
The base went through a overhaul where I took the original pillar and made it into more manageable formations to later merge. This was honestly a breakthrough for me, and helped me a lot in how to think about sculpting i Zbrush. I think it pivoted my skills forward, but I still wasn't happy:
More to come!