Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hand Painted Japanese outdoor lantern

OscarEsteban5
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
OscarEsteban5 polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys!

In this project I want to achieve a good stylised look of a Japanese lantern that I saw in Artstation (Concept in Artstation).

However, I am new with all related to hand painted, so I would be grateful if you can give me feedback about the textures.

I hope you like it, and I read you!

My Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/oskarter9

Concept Art of the Asset

Replies

• OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my progress with the 3D model.

I wanted to ask you to give me your opinion about the moss different approaches (Which model looks more stylized). The left image moss is set with Dither transparency, and the right one with Cutout transparency.

Thank you for your comments!

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I like the moss on the left :)
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the moss on the left :)
    I think the left one keeps better the balance between real moss and the stylized texturing method.

Thank you for your comment! ;)
  • OscarEsteban5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added an incense bowl and the small bluish ghosts.

Also, I'd like to know what you think how the model would look if i added emissive symbols wrapping the lantern (Few more than the one seen in the image).

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along great! Keep going!

I would suggest cropping your images on the left/right sides, remove the dead space. On forums like this, or on Artstation, anywhere with fixed-width formatting, your models will show up smaller, further away from us. We want to see your work better!

I think the emissive symbol will distract from the candles. Which you are still going to add I hope.

It will also help you to put your render side-by-side with the concept art. For comparisons sake. Then you can tweak colors and values better. The closer you can get to the original the better!

I would like to see the candles added. Create a more painterly stone texture. Adjust the colors. Add a floor with transparent fadeout.