Home Technical Talk

How do I get rid of these Glitches

I baked my scar model after that I get these annoying glitches. What should I do?

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    You should do: post more infos...

E.g.  normalmap, lowpoly-wire- and uv-shots, the software you used for baking (maya!?) 

Edit: regarding what Neox said below: those "glitches" or banding  issues which do NOT stay at the same position are most likely caused  by the limited precision of the rendering device
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    some of these look like your mesh geometry is not really great. i think i see overly long thin triangles, or maybe even ngons with different triangualtion between your baker and your renderer. As Rollin suggested, please show the wireframe and UVs, maybe also normalmaps.

that said, some of those are due to banding and a natural issue with 8 bit normalmaps, you have 256 shades of grey per channel in your normalmap, if you have more than 256px of texturespace to cover with a gradient of less than 256 shades, you will get banding.
    To lower the amount, you have to reduce the amount of gradients (lowpoly shading) in your normalmaps, by either using more geometry on steep angles, or hard edges in combination with UV cuts.

there still might end up banding in your normalmaps, 2 ways to fight this

1. 16 bit normalmaps, but those come at the cost of a lot of texture memory

2. bake with dithering, this will sorta noise up your normalmaps, it's the most efficient way to fight banding but comes at the cost of not being able to use it for mirror/chromelike materials.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • raza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply. I used xNormal for baking with cage file.
    Here are my UV snap, normal map and lowpoly-wire.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    does xnormal support Mayas tangentspace? if not, ignore maya and check it in your target engine. say unreal or unity

on the mesh side, get rid of the ngons, triangulate before export, the exporter or importer in xnormal might triangulate differently than maya does