Home Technical Talk

Modular walls: how to do windows/doors/holes properly?

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I'm working a few modular walls and I'm not sure if I'm doing the best workflow for windows, doors and other types of "holes". Right now, I have a standard height for windows, so I created a duplicate of all my walls in all sizes, and cut a hole with the standard window size. The same for doors. So, for every wall segment I have, I also have a copy with the hole in the size of standard windows and doors.

But what if I want non-standard windows and doors? Do I keep on duplicating? What is your approach? I've seen some modular packs on Unreal Marketplace that have small-sized wall pieces that you mix and match in order to cover holes, but that's a big problem with my texture: if I use any of my grime/mold/dirt effects, they end up not matching when it comes to the patches.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Because this really depends on the style of the architecture it would help to have pictures.

For some styles of architecture you can make a small doorframe that you place flat pieces around like you described. Sometimes you've got to make a bigger doorframe and hide the edges.