Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Office Environment (archives)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dave Dind polycounter lvl 11
Howdy!

I recently finished up a project based on a concept from Artyom Vlaskin. I had two goals for the project: the first was to expand upon the area shown in the concept in order to give it more context and display my ability to create a specific sort of place from a generic concept. The second goal was inspired by two things; the modular work and tutorials of Thaigo Klafke, and also from seeing modular kits being sold or shared through the Epic Store.

In my industry work to date I've most enjoyed being trusted to create a level or a location and I get so much satisfaction from seeing and walking around an entirely new place that didn't exist before I started the work. With that said, I've made the level available as a playable download which you can find here if you're so inclined - https://davedind.itch.io/office-environment  (664MB).

The final look in unreal was inspired by The Bureau: XCOM Declassified.

I'm open to any and all feedback so that I might apply it to the next project and if anyone has questions please don't hesitate to ask!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNSCD_ujmpA

Replies

• tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    The Bureau was a fun game, I enjoyed the art style a lot. For some reason, a lot of your material definition has come out looking extremely flat. For eg, the floor I see some splotches in the roughness but they aren't coming up in the scene. Perhaps this is due to the lighting? The quality of the images themselves is also a little poor, not sure if it's a compression issue. 
  • Dave Dind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback @tynew! I think you're right about the lighting as I was trying to match it to the concept, but in hindsight it may not have been the best idea to be so generic with it. At some point I made the decision to just push ahead and get it done, but I'll probably go back and do another lighting pass since it's the first thing that came up.

The images are linked from my wordpress site and they do seem to look worse than on Artstation. Thanks for pointing it out!

• mashonoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mashonoid polycounter lvl 2
    Whenever I try to open this it says "Failed to load map!
    ../../../../../../Education & Links/UE4/DaveDind_Artyom_Oct_8_2019/Artyom_Office/Content/FirstPersonBP/Maps/FirstPersonExampleMap.umap appears to be an asset file." I am trying to open it on 4.20
  • Dave Dind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mash! Sorry for the massively delayed response to your post. Are you trying to open this with the Editor? It's a packaged build and not intended to be opened with the editor itself, but rather played through the .exe.

I've just downloaded it again and tested it myself and was able to play it. I'd love to get to the bottom of your issue though if you could provide me with some more information in case others are having a similar issue.

Thanks in advance!