Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Why does normalize screw up my vertices abs effect?

node
Offline / Send Message
99499 node
So while I'm editing the vertices on my mesh after applying voxel solver, some of them need to have normalize turned off in order to change the abs effect. A few of them work pretty smoothly, but most of them do crazy stuff like this:The first image is the vertices selected with abs effect on 1.0. Second is the same vertices with abs effect on 0. Not sure why this happens. Is there a reason and solution for this?

I have tried  playing with the rigid and rigid handles options as well, but those don't seem to effect it in a way I want it to. Rigid just makes a vertex jump from 0 to 1, and I'm not sure what rigid handles does but it didn't seem to have any effect. 

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Is this a RTFM Question?
    If you have a vertex which is not weighted to any bone and the model is offset from the initial pose the skin modifier was applied (due to animations or you moving it around) the vertex will stay at the initial position. This seems to happen here

To check: simply disable the skin modifier completely. Does the model snap over to the location indicated by the "strange" vertex in your last position?
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    rollin said:
    Is this a RTFM Question?
    If you have a vertex which is not weighted to any bone and the model is offset from the initial pose the skin modifier was applied (due to animations or you moving it around) the vertex will stay at the initial position. This seems to happen here

To check: simply disable the skin modifier completely. Does the model snap over to the location indicated by the "strange" vertex in your last position?
    I believe you are correct, and this may have been a RTFM question, so my mistake in that regard. BUT using your advice I did refer to the Skin Modifier page on the Autodesk site, and it indicated a correction do this. I had to select the mesh with the skin modifier applied to it, scroll down to advanced parameters and turn off the always deform option. With this, the mesh snapped back to the default position when the skin modifier was applied and I just had to align the skeleton to the x-axis of the mesh, and wa-la, the vertex stays in place like it should. 
    update: Had to turn always deform back on so I can move the mesh with the skeleton again.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    +1 for solving this yourself!