Home Career & Education

Does Indie dev experience help with getting a job an AAA studio.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ScopeDragon polycounter lvl 4
I'm working on an indie title with like a team of 50. I unsure if it will look good or bad on resume. I'm just wondering how serious do bigger studios take smaller companies and start ups.
https://www.artstation.com/scoperaven

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Yes, of course it's seen as a plus, especially if said indie game actually manages to ship.

One caveat though: the demands of making art for an indie game are often very different from the demands of making art for a AAA games portfolio. If you apply to Sledgehammer to work on Call of Duty with a portfolio full of simple, stylized art you made for an indie game, you're not going to get the job.
  • ScopeDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScopeDragon polycounter lvl 4
    Ok, I was asking, because of the whole you need  4 years of AAA experience to even get looked at for an entry level "contract". IDK the whole AAA art industry is just confusing.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If it helps, make sure you take note of distinct responsibilities and "eras" of development you're involved with, and just slowly update your resume as time goes on.
    For example, me blueprint scriptting with InXile is in stark contrast to my art asset making, but Imade sure to note that I did thatt for a production, even if it wasn'tt for the whole time.  You can clean up your resume later, just make sure you'vee taken a note you can revisit and clarify later.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, I'd say so. Just as long as it's worth the time and experience, working with the team. I want to say it helps. You'll get familiar with working with teams, and deadlines, pretty much  the same thing we all go through. It's a nice feeling, too, when you see it come to fruition, with a trailer, a demo, or when it ships. Take the experience you can get. Don't force yourselft, though, if you're not really feeling it. If you want to spend more time on portfolio work, or if you're stressing out about it, give it some thought and maybe think things through. Resume's one thing, but the portfolio's probably the major factor. It's a toss up, though. I had this same issue years back.

My resume's all scattered now, but I use to mention a few projects on my resume, from a couple of indie teams I worked with, depending on the role that I was applying for (the rest, I just leave on my Linkedin, now).