Home Technical Talk

3ds max edge thickness on 4k monitor.

LosRe
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LosRe polycounter lvl 4
Is there a way to increase the thickness of edges in 3ds max? I have a 4k monitor and the scale is horrible. After some work in it i'm starting to get a headache.

Replies

• Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    As far as I know you can change only vertices size. You can try to use antialliasing in Viewport Configuration. In new max versions, they have outlines around objects so there might be workaround but don't know how much is the Nitrous renderer open for any custom moddifications. Maybe through DirectX and HLSL but I think it's only for object base and not for entire viewport.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4k is pretty uncomfortable to work in. Especially if you're at average desk viewing distance. 1440p is a good resolution for 3d in general. Try stepping yoyr res down? 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Anti aliasing will help - I work at 4k on a 27" monitor quite comfortably in both max and maya like that
  • LosRe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LosRe polycounter lvl 4
    Silly question, by AA you mean that i should disable it or enable it at maximum?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enable it.  It'll prevent the lines breaking up and make them seem a bit thicker
  • AbdoAch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @poopipe Can you tell me how comfortable is ! because i have monitor 4K 27" and i facing a big problem that everything is small in 3ds Max Menus & icons..etc, even when i changed Windows Display Settings (Scale and Layout = 175%) Display Res 2160, still not fixed yet, Any help i'll be thankful.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have an issue using it without scaling so can't really suggest anything 
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Played around with the idea this is the best atm that I came up with for people with this issue.

Make back ground dark/ get a dark Material / for the wires go into ui / colors / change it to something stupid bright, maybe that will help you.
    I tried to get the see-through colors to change but it didn't no matter what i did so, maybe it will change for you.
    I also played with attempting a script though I've never done it and someone who actually codes might come up with a better solution and i would just be wasting my time.  
    Since everything is dark here adding lighting that would be helpful for you to see the shading of your objects would be beneficial here.
    The yellow/orange version in that back was me trying to figure out something with vertex paint.

Figured out a way give me a second doing it now its not very helpful though and its kind of dumb.

https://youtu.be/f5Ccd8-qU6o
    ^If you can realtime render this we got our edge controller.

should be up soon, so its just using the material section - Extended Parameters / Wire section (i click in video) and hitting F9, you could also try lowering your screen resolution and using it that way right? sacrifice for the greater good.

edit#2: if anyone manages to figure it out using that material render control area, please call it ThicccEdges :) cause trendy.