Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post with Lantern- World of Warcraft FanArt

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
I made this post  with a lantern on it as a small part of a bigger WoW inspired scene. Ill be posting more updates with more props for my scene once they are all done, but for now i'm pretty proud of this one so I thought id share it! Any critiques or comments would help a lot, I want this scene to turn out really good :)

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks good! I'd like to see a bottom-to-top gradient applied.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh good idea! Thank you!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also; more bending, less straight lines! It looks like you're worried about poly count right now, but I think you should be a bit more liberal with your count. One thing that makes stuff look more toon'ish is bending, squashing, etc. Are you sculpting in ZBrush? If not, I'd suggest picking it up. If you added some slash marks onto the corners of the wood, to help break up the straight nines, that would e nice. I'd also add some edges to the lantern bit and give it a slight roundness to it.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis yeah I'm really concerned about polycount, I'm doing this for the student contest and one of the guidelines is to have "efficient models." I guess I'm just not sure how much I should add. But I will try to add some bendiness without going too crazy!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Efficient models" doesn't necessarily mean extremely low poly count. I'd use as many polygons as required to get it looking amazing, just make sure your topology isn't a mess! If this game was a top down view, this would be alright, but if you're getting up and close to this thing, don't be afraid of improving the silhouette. Especially as a beginner, you shouldn't be worrying too much about poly count. One critique of a lot of junior portfolios I've heard was they tend to not use enough polys, and everything looks low res, even if they're aiming for modern console games.