Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Games portfolio review

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Markovca polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys,

I'm new here, however I'd love to receive a quick portfolio review for a Junior 3D position at games industry, mostly as prop/environment artist. I'm not sure if my skillset is enough? How I can improve it? Should I delete something from there? 

https://www.artstation.com/markovca

I'm still working on personal project (studying trim sheets and modularity) - and right now on I'm very interested in polycount environment/prop challenge 

Thanks a lot!
Masha :)

Replies

• 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there,

I'll give some honest feedback :) 
    It's definitely a good start so keep it up!

1) Personally I'd delete the sketches. I'm by all means no expert in drawing but I don't think they'll benefit your desired position.
    2) Overall you should focus a bit on lighting and presentation quality. At the moment most of your stuff lacks interesting lighting. I guess there are tons of sources in the web you can read through concerning lighting. 

The forbidden temple scene could benefit from a more contrasty/dramatic setting (maybe focus more on the fire and tone down the overall ambient light as it feels a bit washed out). Same for the sci fi corridor, a bit less ambient light and more focus on the actual light sources (in this example the ceiling lamps/ you could also add some emissive object and then light it up).

3) I'd also work on the overall material definition.
    Examples:
    a) Old telephone - the material of the bottom part, at least for me, is not really readable and I can't quite figure out what it is. The wood is way too glossy and the grain is to noisy. I'd say tone down the noise in general and use it only in certain areas. 
    b) soviet radio - again, the wood texture is way to noisy. You can add lighter edge damage here and there.

Same goes for the cave scene. In my beginning time I also used way too much small unreadable noise in my normal maps. I guess I thought it would add detail, but actually it's just a bit straining for the eye. 

4) To your textures section:
    a) Bark with vines - the vines/leaves look really nice! The bark looks more like a acre. I'd definitely look up more references in this case.
    b) Personally I'd skip the "Forest Ground". The soil itself is too bright and lacks definition, the grass also looks weird and artificial. Overall it's way too glossy.

Your other materials look really nice!

Oh just a minor thing, I'd rename the textures section to "Materials". 

As I said, it's definitely a good start with much potential! Keep it up!

Cheers
  • Markovca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovca polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, as for "Forbidden temple" I was fighting with a lighting and still studying it. Thanks for mentioning that.

I'll work more on that you mentioned above.
    Thanks a lot for such a detailed asnwer I really appreciate it!