Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Can't edit envelopes, not sure why...

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
99499 node
Hello, 

For some reason I cannot edit the envelopes on my mesh in 3DS Max, and was hoping someone could help me out here. I can do the skin modifier, add the bones, and use the voxel-solver to auto-weight my bones to the mesh just fine but for some reason the thing just does not allow me to edit the envelopes. I've noticed the problem only occurs when I apply voxel solver. Before that I can edit the envelopes but it's very spotty although that could be due to how I lined up the rig with the mesh. 

My main question: Why can I not edit envelopes once applying voxel solver?

Replies

• Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Envelopes and Voxel Solver are two different systems. Once you apply the Voxel Solver, your vertex weights are baked and the envelopes don't influence them anymore. When you apply the Voxel Solver, there's a checkbox in the dialog to hide the envelopes. To be able to use the envelopes again, you'll have to reset the vertices and unhide the envelopes again.
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    Noren said:
    Envelopes and Voxel Solver are two different systems. Once you apply the Voxel Solver, your vertex weights are baked and the envelopes don't influence them anymore. When you apply the Voxel Solver, there's a checkbox in the dialog to hide the envelopes. To be able to use the envelopes again, you'll have to reset the vertices and unhide the envelopes again.
    Thank you for your answer. That explains it perfectly.