Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Borderlands 3 Weapons (Art Dump)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Polygoblin polycounter
Recently had the pleasure of contributing to Borderlands 3. I was tasked with making guns that could match the stylized look of Borderlands and overlap cleanly in many different ways, per the game's procgen system. I used Maya with HardMesh to model using smooth booleans on top of subd, 3DsMax to organize master scenes, Zbrush for organic detailing, and Substance Painter (for the lowpoly).

You can find concept credits and more information on my portfolio: Polygoblin.net 

Hope you've enjoyed Borderlands 3!

Replies

• Bluestemos
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    Those are some hot high polies! :smile:
  • Akash283
    Offline / Send Message
    Akash283 polycounter lvl 7
    These are awesome! They look familiar to me, used a few of these already.

Did they take all those pieces you showed in the exploded and just shove them into a procgen algorithm? Always been interested in how they do that.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Akash283 said:
    These are awesome! They look familiar to me, used a few of these already.

Did they take all those pieces you showed in the exploded and just shove them into a procgen algorithm? Always been interested in how they do that.
    Assuming it is the same system as BL1 and 2: Weapon components of the same type (Assault rifle, pistol, etc) share common dimensions and the game mixes and matches the parts to form the final art and stats. Each manufacturer has different base properties and within each manufacturer and weapon type there are alternate parts, which it looks like they made way more of for BL3. Final weapon stats are a combination of all the components + the drop level.

• Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    AlecMoody is correct. As the modeler, it was my job to figure out how to build the various components that would overlap but not intersect. I wanted each arrangement of components to look purposefully crafted and not just stuck together.