Home Career & Education

Studios giving you art tests without asking you first

Maned_Wolf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Maned_Wolf polycounter lvl 3
So I've been applying for some concept art type positions for some time and on more than one occasion studios respond and immediately assign you an art test to do for them (with a deadline) without confirming with you first if 1. you are willing and 2. when is the best time for you to start the test. Personally I find it pretty rude as you are essentially asking me to drop everything I'm doing right now and commit a lot of time and effort to deliver you something free of charge. Not to mention the non guarantee to even offer you the job in the end. Yes, I applied to the position in the first place so I obviously want something from you but there should still be a courtesy and consideration for the candidate from the other side. 

I had this happen just the other day and I'm decidedly not going to do their test. Not even going to say anything unless they ask me about it maybe. Sorry that last part is just me venting a bit. 

On a side note I also get the feeling that the concept of the unpaid art test is being abused right now by a lot of studios. Rather than a means to assess your skills under a certain time constraint, it seems more like a means to get free assets out of you to be used in their projects. Is it just me or are others under this impression as well? I mean I had happen kind of recently also that a studio explicitly told me not share my test on social media despite the prompt being super generic and not tied to any IP in the slightest and me not having signed an NDA or anything beforehand. Seems shady... 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Every time I got a art test I was asked if I wanted one, when I could start and I was told how much time I got etc. I think it is rude to just say hey here's a test you got 5 days cya.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Indicates poor standards of communication to me. I'd pass if I had the option. Working for a bad boss can be worse than unemployment in the long run.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    It mainly has to do with how the corporate side of the industry works. 

A recruiter is assigned a set of tasks when approaching/being approached by candidates. Its not entirely clear whether they actually are experienced enough to know what it is they are looking for since they tend to jump companies an awful lot.

Usually its a kind of checklist, to see if you have the minimum needed + work experience and art test is really just an afterthought.

I had one that didn't even get looked at because they suddenly decided they didn't need people. Another company liquidated a week before I was to submit the art test. 
    Ideally an art test ought to be paid in every case since it can become a tax write off, and considering how much grant money is pumped into these companies in addition to what they make, its a paltry sum.

What is needed is more transparency, sure you have glassdoor where the outlook on the majority of game companies is pretty dismal, but having industry seniors actually address these issues publicly is the change that is needed. 

The better ones have moved on to make their own companies that follow better practices, smaller more focused games that have a more profound impact on the audience than just adding money to shareholders wallets.

• lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I am curious how many people actually turn down art tests. It seems like everyone likes to talk about it, but literally every company I worked at had tests for the artists we hired. I feel like unless you are a well known figure in the industry there's no way around it?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, negotiation skills and leverage do help.

I was asked to do an art test for my current job, but I politely declined, explaining how I was busy with a couple freelance projects and could not afford the time. I wanted to work with them, but I also needed to satisfy my obligations to my clients.

The hiring managers seemed to understand my predicament, and were willing to forego the test based on my experience level, existing portfolio, and seemingly good fit for the new role.

It was a gamble to be sure, but I was slammed at the time and felt I could take the risk.

After turning down the test, and before the onsite interview, I managed to spend some time converting an existing asset I had into something similar to the art test they wanted. Not perfect by any means, but it did give me something to show and talk about during the interview, and showed them my excitement and commitment to going above and beyond. 

Every situation is different though. I'm at a different place in my career than an entry level artist. But I still suggest you learn the art of negotiation, it makes a huge difference.
  • Maned_Wolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maned_Wolf polycounter lvl 3
    lefix said:
    I am curious how many people actually turn down art tests. It seems like everyone likes to talk about it, but literally every company I worked at had tests for the artists we hired. I feel like unless you are a well known figure in the industry there's no way around it?
    You mean to turn down art test but still proceed with the application process? I've turned down a few art tests knowing I'm forfeiting the continuation of the application. One was because the company was just immediately like "here do this art test, you have one week" which really rubbed me the wrong way (but also because upon looking at their website I had no idea what they were about).
  • tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
    Working for a bad boss can be worse than unemployment in the long run.
    I can confirm this from personal experience, unfortunately. Never tolerate shitty or shady behavior from your employer.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    If a company sends you a test out of the blue, with a deadline, contact them back and politely make it clear that you weren't expecting it and that you don't believe it was really appropriate for them to do so - because honestly it isn't acceptable. The person sending the test cannot just automatically assume you have the time; you might have deadlines at your current position, personal things to deal with, or you may simply already have other art tests that you've committed to (amongst numerous other things you can be doing).

What happens from thereon out, is up to you really. In my opinion, a studio that treats you poorly as a candidate is going to treat you worse as an employee though.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The trick there though is to respond politely. If you respond with "a chip on your shoulder" you'll likely be interpreted as someone who could be difficult to work with, especially in stressful situations like working towards a tight deadline. Respond professionally and politely.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    The trick there though is to respond politely. If you respond with "a chip on your shoulder" you'll likely be interpreted as someone who could be difficult to work with, especially in stressful situations like working towards a tight deadline. Respond professionally and politely.
    Bingo. Even if the person you are dealing with is a total ass, always treat them like they are a friend and you  only expect the best from them. This leaves you in best position but also is the most likely way you will get them to change their behaviour.

And there is benefit of doubt as well. The email sent to you may have been simple error. Always try to present a nonthreatening escape route if you getting in territory where someone stands to be offendd.