Welcome to the Bi-Monthly Character Art Challenge!
New concepts will be chosen at the start of January
Previous Challenge Thread
How it works
- Every new challenge, 3 Character Concepts will be provided
- Pick one concept to work on for the duration of the challenge and post your progress here!
- Complete a 3D game res model of your chosen concept
- Help other artists grow! When you post an update, also leave a critique for someone else. Share knowledge you have learned
- There are no software restrictions; you're welcome to
use as little, or as many different software packages as you like.
are no polygon or texture restrictions, it can be a 3,000 triangle hand
painted model or a 100,000 triangle current gen model. Just make sure
the final result is a game model, not a sculpt!
- You are welcome to cross post on different sites (Artstation, Facebook, Discord etc.) for additional feedback
starting your character, break down the concept and plan your work
accordingly. Being able to effectively estimate how long it will take to
complete a project is an important skill, especially for freelance
- Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in any real time engine. (Marmoset, UE4, Unity, etc.)
be afraid to ask questions, but don't hesitate to find the answer on
your own - chances are, the answer to your problem has already been
answered within these forums
- If you feel anything should be modified or added to these guidelines, please let me know!
Please credit and link to the artists when posting on other sites!
Inquisitor by Ryan Metcalf
How concepts are chosen:
- Trying to keep it consistently one male character, one female and one other non-human (robot, creature, humanoid, etc)
- Trying to keep the 3 concepts look like they are part of a theme or could fit in similar universe.
must be full body and clearly drawn. There shouldn't be a lot of
guesswork on what the details or proportions are. Turnarounds are a good
thing to have, but not required
- Concepts shouldn't be too
complex or too simple to allow people to get them done in the time-frame
while also finding something interesting and giving a challenge.
be able to link back to the original source artist to they can be
properly credited, places like Pinterest can lead to link rot. If I
cannot find the source or original artist, the art will not be used
you are a concept artist and want your concept removed or want to
create a concept for a future challenge please feel free to contact me.
- If you have any suggestions of themes you would like to see in the future, send me a message!