Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback on this KA-BAR

node
Offline / Send Message
buce1 node
Hi all! I'm new to polycount, lookin for a bit of feedback on this knife I made for my portfolio.



I'm currently working on a unannounced VR title right now and we needed a lowpoly KA-BAR. I figured I might as well just make a nice looking highpoly render and then reduce the polycount and resolution later for the game. 



I also have a marmoset turntable on my artstation post here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1noO53

I've been working on my photoshop skills, ie. color correction, curves, etc. I notice that the strap and button on the end looks a bit unnatural. Im thinking it might just be the lighting. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Replies

  • lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 2
    The model looks great overall, but I'm noticing some issues on the baking (tip of the knife, there are some gradients following the topology), as well as some visible uv seams(around "capsule" shape specially). Make sure to mark UV seam edges as sharp edges.
    I also feel like the edges on the handle are too soft and maybe too glossy. It looks a bit like a toy at the moment. 
  • buce1
    Offline / Send Message
    buce1 node
    lluc21 said:
    The model looks great overall, but I'm noticing some issues on the baking (tip of the knife, there are some gradients following the topology), as well as some visible uv seams(around "capsule" shape specially). Make sure to mark UV seam edges as sharp edges.
    I also feel like the edges on the handle are too soft and maybe too glossy. It looks a bit like a toy at the moment. 
    Yeah I noticed those baking issues. I'm working on rebaking the mesh but I noticed Im having problems removing those artifacts near the tip of the mesh in Zbrush. I think I might just need to up the topology on the mesh before importing it to Zbrush.
  • lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 2
    buce1 said:
    lluc21 said:
    The model looks great overall, but I'm noticing some issues on the baking (tip of the knife, there are some gradients following the topology), as well as some visible uv seams(around "capsule" shape specially). Make sure to mark UV seam edges as sharp edges.
    I also feel like the edges on the handle are too soft and maybe too glossy. It looks a bit like a toy at the moment. 
    Yeah I noticed those baking issues. I'm working on rebaking the mesh but I noticed Im having problems removing those artifacts near the tip of the mesh in Zbrush. I think I might just need to up the topology on the mesh before importing it to Zbrush.
    Just out of curiosity. What are you using Zbrush for here?
  • buce1
    Offline / Send Message
    buce1 node
    lluc21 said:
    buce1 said:
    lluc21 said:
    The model looks great overall, but I'm noticing some issues on the baking (tip of the knife, there are some gradients following the topology), as well as some visible uv seams(around "capsule" shape specially). Make sure to mark UV seam edges as sharp edges.
    I also feel like the edges on the handle are too soft and maybe too glossy. It looks a bit like a toy at the moment. 
    Yeah I noticed those baking issues. I'm working on rebaking the mesh but I noticed Im having problems removing those artifacts near the tip of the mesh in Zbrush. I think I might just need to up the topology on the mesh before importing it to Zbrush.
    Just out of curiosity. What are you using Zbrush for here?
    I use Zbrush for my highpoly and damage pass. I import it from Max and work on it, then decimate it.
Sign In or Register to comment.