Home Career & Education

Looking for portfolio c&c

I recently graduated from a video game design program. Like a lot of these programs, it was very much crammed and I learned a mixture of design, prototyping, 2d/3d art, scripting, marketing, business management and more. Needless to say, I didn't get to practice much 3d art during the 2 years of the program. 

I'm now a graduate and I have no idea what to do and what to improve on. I've made a few drafts of my portfolio over the 1 year after school where I worked full time in a sales job at the same time, so I couldn't progress much. I applied to dozens of game/vfx companies over this year and I only got 1 call for a QA video game tester position :anguished: 

I've always wanted to do this as a career and because I'm obviously going about my portfolio the wrong way, I decided I would give my 150% this time. I quit my job and I'll be living on my savings to remake my portfolio full time for the next 5-6 months. 

I'm not sure what to work on during that time. Some people in the industry that I've met told me to only do modeling - no texture, only models with wireframe and a reel of the modeling process. Others have told me to learn Unreal and put a bunch of environments together to display environment art and knowledge of a game engine. Others tell me my portfolio is fine and I should just get the right connections to get into a studio... I honestly have no idea where to start. 

Anyway, if you have any c&c for my portfolio it would be awesome: http://abrahamsabbah.com/

My resume: https://abrahamsabbah.com/AbrahamSabbah_CV.pdf

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    First of all, dump the custom site and get on Artstation. Schools are notorious for pushing the idea of a custom site but its just unnecessary.

Out of the advice you've already been given this is the only bit I agree with... "... learn Unreal and put a bunch of environments together to display environment art and knowledge of a game engine"

Regarding your work, I have some issues with what I'm seeing:

There's a lack of optimization when it comes to your modeling. Tons of micro bevels (ex. Piano keys) and extra polys (wrapping on katana) where a baked high to low normal map would have done the job. Some things are just lacking polish (viking sword grip isnt aligned with guard and blade)

Sense of scale is all over the place (piano keys are very long, books in pirate scene are massive).

Texturing needs a lot of work. I'm seeing woods and leather materials with near full white metallic values when PBR rules would require that be full black (dielectric). The wood on the piano is reading like a molded plastic lego piece due the height and roughness info... the albedo is also very primitive. Something to keep in mind is how an object would be constructed in real life ie its made of different pieces of wood so it should read like that to the viewer, not just one seamless piece.

Look into how best to optimize your UV's.. There's quite a few areas specifically on the Pirate cabin that could have been straightened and increased your texel density for uniques or even eliminated some texture sets entirely. Also look into creating Tileables / Trim Sheets in instances where you know you'll be using a lot of the same material across a scene / large prop.

I do enjoy your lighting on the pirate ship!

Finally, once you migrate to artstation I'd consider dumping the collaborative stuff. If your goal is to be an enviro artist, then it's not showing that off very clearly by including it.

https://www.polygon-academy.com/why-your-portfolio-needs-to-be-on-artstation/
    https://www.polygon-academy.com/10-insider-tips-for-artists-applying-to-game-studios/
    https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-2

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Completely agree with @Taylor Brown
    Most important step for you first is -> go on Artstation. It takes me like 10 seconds to load all your images properly (my internet sucks a little here, but still). That sounds very impatient but recruiters etc won't wait too long to check out your art. Drop the website and move to Artstation. That's where everyone is active. Eyes are on there. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    As far as what to work on next... Take all the points I've mentioned and try and apply it to a small scale diorama. Keep your scope manageable and use a project management site like Trello (super artist friendly) to help stay focused. As far as reference for a quality bar to hit on your textures / modeling, I'm going to be biased and say look to Dekogon's catalogue ;) Oh and make sure to keep a human scale reference handy while modeling to avoid the scale issues - https://cubebrush.co/dekogon/products/o0eyfg/character-reference-sizes
  • abers1997
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Taylor Brown Amazing advice <3 This really helped me plan what to tackle first. I never noticed that my proportions were off until you mentioned it. I never realized my textures were off until you mentioned it. I have a lot of work to do B) I've been listening to podcasts on what a portfolio should and shouldn't include based on the job/role you're looking for and it really opened my eyes to a lot of different issues in my portfolio. It's sad that I didn't learn any of this in school too and that I wasted so much time this year after school going in circles; I feel like it's an issue a lot of beginners go through.

@Taylor Brown @YF_SticksFirst of all, dump the custom site and get on Artstation - One of my teachers was adamant about me making one for my portfolio; he told me it would be an asset to have down the line. It took a lot of work :'( since I made it from scratch in HTML/CSS + on top of that all of my business cards only include my website and my contact info. Is it better to just scrap it anyway? I agree that artstation is a better way to display my work (faster and easier for employer to find/view my work). Do you think it would be a good idea to maybe still keep my website as a "hub" for my work and maybe link artstation at the very top? 

I agree with... "... learn Unreal and put a bunch of environments together to display environment art and knowledge of a game engine"What do you think about showcasing environments in Unity? I have tons of experience with Unity and I'm very comfortable with the UI, lighting, import settings, scripting, etc. The only thing is, from all the environment portfolios I've been checking out, most of them showcase projects done in Unreal.

I'm seeing woods and leather materials with near full white metallic values when PBR rules would require that be full black (dielectric) - if you don't mind, could you elaborate on this point a little more? I did some research on dialectic materials and I can't seem to grasp the concept (I'm very much a texture noob)... Is dialectic just a factor that's considered within metallic shaders?

Also look into creating Tileables / Trim Sheets in instances where you know you'll be using a lot of the same material across a scene / large propTRIM SHEETS - my goodness, where has this been all my life?! I love this so much, thank you for introducing this concept to me!

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    NOT Taylor, but regarding textures and materials.check out the tutorial section on marmoset webaite. The intro to pbr ones are some of the best, artist friendly ones I've seen. It's nice to begin without the heavy technical terms and those articles.do good job of that.
  • abers1997
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NOT Taylor, but regarding textures and materials.check out the tutorial section on marmoset webaite. The intro to pbr ones are some of the best, artist friendly ones I've seen. It's nice to begin without the heavy technical terms and those articles.do good job of that.
    Is this what you're talking about? - https://marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/

Thanks for the suggestion, there are so many articles to read about PBR.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    The artstation thing is up to you. In my opinion, having a personal site is almost entirely obsolete in order to achieve the goal of being a hired artist. As a rule of thumb, get comfortable with the idea of tossing sentimentality aside when it comes to your portfolio (and that can include a website). You only want to present the things that make you and what you can bring to the job shine in the clearest way. So eliminating any barriers is essential. 

Unity, Unreal, Cryengine etc.. it doesn't really matter. In my circle of work peers, Unreal gets a lot more use but it's not the standard for personal work. I think mostly because it's very artist friendly and easy to get looking pretty for renders. The point for you is to showcase game engine and full game asset pipeline experience. This tells employers you are somewhat technically competent and can likely hit the ground running with an in house engine or the like.

Re: woods, leathers being dielectrics means that they are non-conductors. So their metallic value would be full black if we are working on a scale from 0-1 / black to white. I think it's shit that your program didn't teach you about PBR. Read everything you can, marmoset and allegorithmic have great resources.

For a quality trimsheet lesson (and a lot more!), check out the youtube channel of Tim Simpson (Pixelmasher) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGXr6E_g91ue1rfhA9j4TLA

One other key piece of advice i forgot, you have to get active on art communities. Getting feedback from anyone and everyone is key to pushing your work. Get active on here and/or on some discord groups. Dinusty and No More Grid are two very active groups to get immersed in. If you're looking for some paid classes that will help you hone your skill, I loved my time with CGMA and can recommend Dennis Porter's mentorship / community - https://gumroad.com/dennisporter3d
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Yes make an Artstation, custom websites are obsolete these days so you can delete it. The work you put into it wont be for nothing because you gained experience creating it. As for your portfolio you still have some work to do like mentioned above by Taylor Brown. You also need to ask yourself what you want to specialize in? Is it environment art of prop art? If its prop art you need to create a couple of high quality props but when you want to do environment then creating scenes is what you have to focus on. You can always combine both tho. Good luck!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's the article. The is a few there though covering similar topics. You don't need to be an expert or even understand the science at the root level to make great art though. So long as you get general principles and know how to find answers should you need them you are set. 

I'll add one counterpoint about specialization though. You got to consider long term beyond just getting into job right now. The more specialized you become to more time you funnel into an avenue that cannot easily be backed out of. If technology renders that avenue obsolete, then you are SOL. Furthermore, focusing too hard on specialization limits your scope of experience, which may stunt your upward mobility later in life.

Not things you can really plan for but always good idea to continually try to expand your experience and make sure all of your time can be viewed as investing in yourself. Trading time for money is low ROI. Sometimes you just gotta do that and maybe even.you.like the simplicity of it but beware automation and outsourcing if you do.

If the only thing you are learning is how to model faster in max or how to make slightly better shapes on characters shoulder pads, I'd wager you'll be replaced soon by something faster and cheaper. I'd then want to be looking to the leaders in my organization and watching them. What skills do they got that aren't easily replaced? Usually it's a matter of personality, attitude, and communication skills. Things that are stupid easy to learn and change but most people won't because they got screwy sense of identity

Also be aware there is all kinds of niche jobs besides large corporations. Jobs like this may not care so much about hyperspecialization. The key of course is having a clear target. If the clearest target you can paint is "I like a bit of everything!" the obviously you.must plan extra time.yo learn it all.and be good enough at it. If you do enjoy doing it all, a great thorough way to learn is to make a game and publish it.
  • abers1997
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Taylor Brown I'll be shutting down my website since it looks like all that's needed is ArtStation in the end. I did learn how to get comfortable with coding websites, so it wasn't for nothing at least. 

Based on what you mentioned about game engines, it's good to hear that my experience with Unity can be showcased and I'll also learn Unreal, because why not show both?! B)

Tim Simpson's tutorials are top notch - the trim sheet tuts are absolute GOLD! 

Thank you Taylor for taking the time to get me started on the right path. I'm currently going 150% on remaking my portfolio and generally being more involved in the community to get some real feedback that will actually help. I realize the reality of things fresh out of school and I finally realize what it takes -> so I'm going to sit on my butt for however long it takes (months/years) to improve my art... <-

• abers1997
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zi0 Good point on the specialization part. I actually went to a a few game dev/vfx events in my city the past 1-2 weeks and met some pros and they all told me the same thing - specialize in something. Apparently there are too many generalists out there applying to studios and it's no longer sought after. They say that the new breed of "generalists" are Technical Artists, so that was something super interesting that I wish the people I met would elaborate about. 

In the end, I decided I would go into environment art and also make props since I enjoy the process of doing that the most. Down the line, I'm hoping to get to a good enough level to get into Archviz and specialize in that fully since it's always in demand and it's a great industry to be in (from what I hear).
  • abers1997
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor About going down a path in specialization, what do you think about Archviz? It's been in the back of my mind for the past year or so and I figured I'd build on my experience with game development in order to one day hopefully get to a level where I can make Archviz a long term career.

Everything seems to be automated more and more. I was listening to one of Blender Guru's talks and he talked about how the future of 3D art is procedural/automated and replace many jobs in the industry but isn't necessarily a bad thing if you learn to adapt. Thanks for mentioning that, it's something to think and plan for.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    abers1997 said:
    @Alex Javor About going down a path in specialization, what do you think about Archviz? It's been in the back of my mind for the past year or so and I figured I'd build on my experience with game development in order to one day hopefully get to a level where I can make Archviz a long term career.

Everything seems to be automated more and more. I was listening to one of Blender Guru's talks and he talked about how the future of 3D art is procedural/automated and replace many jobs in the industry but isn't necessarily a bad thing if you learn to adapt. Thanks for mentioning that, it's something to think and plan for.
    I have experience in Archviz, its a good career if you have the right clients and make sure to be fully transparent with what you can do for them and how long it would take you.

The best thing about it is the transparency since theres very little secrecy about what is being worked on (game companies can be pretty paranoid in contrast), smaller teams and more client facing (you can interact directly with a client).
    You also get to wear many hats and be involved in the design process from the get go. Its similar to indie game dev in that respect.

Working with a reputable archviz company can be rewarding and it is pretty stable.
    Is it as interesting as working in games, tbh really depends on how you approach it.
    Like if you are well know for your designs and attain work doing more than clean up and layout work, and that's what you want to do then yes it can be very rewarding as you build your brand.

There is more out there than just a job though, so important to do what you're passionate about.

As for automation, while it is likely to wipe out most of grunt level work, its also a matter of what is financially viable. We're a long time away from automation replacing artists in the pipeline. 
    If anything automation may help us focus more than design and being more creative with the game dev process.

For the time being in most cases being a 3D production artist in a company isn't all that different from a subway sandwich artist especially in AAA. True there is a difference in skill, but limited flexibility in what is actually output, something that many artists hope to get as they grow in the company which is a different experience for everyone and dependent on more than just how good of an artist you are.

I do feel that artists should have more autonomy and better negotiating skills in business, something that isn't common.
    Imagine if every artist behind a skin a say fortnite was paid a percentage of every skin sold. 
    With the way a corporate company structure is set up + outsourcing for peanuts its difficult to accomodate this.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know nothing about archviz. You should chase whatever you are most passionate about though. Just do your homework and talk to relevant experts to make sure you know what you are getting into.

You want to have an exit plan. If the extent of your.plan is "I wanna work at blizzard cause I love their games" and that is it, you are set up for failure. Need to know where you want to be in five, ten, twenty, thirty, even fifty years from now.

Plans will change but if you don't have a plan there is much higher chance things change not in your favor.

Anyway, clearly your are intelligent enough to investigate and think for yourself so you'll be fine. I always saying same thing over and over for the poor kids who go naively into corporate world just to have dreams crushed and be exploited.