Home Marmoset

marmoset viewer and people ripping models

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
demonslayer polycounter lvl 3
Will Marmoset adress the problem Artists have with showcasing their artworks and people ripping your models straight out the viewer?
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xGkLm   like happened to Blair?
I want to hear your thought about that,  This issue has to be communicated with the Artists/Community. Some people showcase their stuff plus sell it. With such ripping option it can completley devalue a model.
cheers
Daniel

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Daniel,

We have a section regarding the problem on our support page (see the Security section): https://marmoset.co/support/?page=viewer

"Is My Artwork Secure With Marmoset Viewer?

Much like JPEGs, GIFs, and videos, 3D models & textures must be sent in full to the browser client in order to be rendered. This, in short, makes robust copy-protection essentially impossible for all software that renders 3D on the web. While we at Marmoset do not supply, support, or condone any tools for extracting data from Marmoset Viewer scenes, third party software can be created to accomplish this to varying degrees.

We think 3D content on the web is really cool. It’s our belief that the rewards of displaying high quality 3D content online greatly outweigh the potential risks. For particularly sensitive content, one might opt to share 3D artwork privately; pages like ArtStation offer private, password-protected posts.

The 3D art industry is generally very unkind to thieves and frauds. If you spot stolen artwork online, contact the administrator of the site where it was posted so that it can be removed. Encourage friends and coworkers to take the same action. Theft of this kind is less a case for impenetrable security than a social problem we can all help combat."

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to prevent nefarious people from intercepting mesh data transmitted over the internet. It's a complex problem, but the gist of it is essentially: For people to be able to view the content on their computer, the content needs to be transferred to the end user, and because the content must be sent to the end user, it can be intercepted. Unfortunately, there is no feasible way to secure the content completely - no matter what we do on our end. For instance, the content could be intercepted directly from the graphics card, in the same way that art is ripped from games. Once its in video memory, all bets are off.

I wish we had a better answer for this, but we don't.
  • demonslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demonslayer polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the fast reply and explain it so clearly. I might have been naive to think that such viewers use some kind of secure tech like we have on hdcp that makes it impossible or at least pretty ugly to extract data, so this is quiet new to me. I have read that sketchfab and other platforms have the same problem.
    I love marmoset to showcase work, but regarding some models I removed the viewers from some sites. I followed the posting arround some other artists and its pretty sad to see what happend. But as you said the same trouble we have with videos and textures ect.

Its a great advice to report such ripped content ,better this way than Users removing their artworks/viewer like in my example above. It just pissed me off to see this done on her art.