Home Technical Talk

rigging foreskin to get pulled back.

Mcbeardo
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mcbeardo polycounter lvl 4
HI!

Yeah sorry, might be a tad nasty sounding but hey. its biological isnt it. 

So iam doing a creature, most of the rig is complete, i just have a mental block as of now, on how to set the joints up for the head. 
I want skin much like a penis to reveal the head.  The skin should be pulled back. Now i want this done with joints. But my tests have been faulty and i feel really stumped on how to proceed. 

Ill take any recomendations and links you peeps are willing to share with me. 

Thanks a bunch. 

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Doing that with blendshapes would be much easier.
  • throttlekitty
    What software? Realtime rig? How detailed is the mesh?

In Maya, you could have several rings of joints, each constrained to the mesh with a Geometry Constraint, so they freely slide along the surface. I ran up an example here just to see how well it would work, it would need more joints and smarter weights to look better, but it mostly works. I agree with Obscura that blendshapes would be better, and also that this setup might be easier to create the steps for them.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You can drive joints with a blendshape if it makes authoring easier.  There's an old article on gamasutra about gears of war(iirc) that describes doing it but it's basically the same principle as turning any sim mesh into a skeletal animation 
  • Mcbeardo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey obscura, thanks for the help the last time! :)

Iam using maya, and yeah my goal is to create a creature wich u can shoot off legs, and armour and stuff, so most stuff on it is its own mesh. 
    Now, i have been redoing the head part many times. And, i feel if i can just understand how to pull this off in my head this could be quite cool. 

Yeah blendshapes crossed my mind, and forgot i can just bake that animation down to the joints, that is true. I wanna bake down some jiggle aswell. 

And yeah, i wanna do this with set driven key of course, gonna use that on other stuff aswell, this is like a logical technical issue, the rigging part i know. I just feel totally blocked. If u allow me u could say iam cockblocked so to speak...(sorry :/)

Poopipe:maya, realtime rig, and look at picture, ill probobly use some nice baked maps when its done, this is the lowpoly mesh iam playing with. 

throttlekitty: i will check yer file out in a jiffy maybe it will clear my blockage. 

So ill get cracking on this, and see if i cant get this foreskin behave as i want. 
    Ill post back with result in the weekend. 
  • Mcbeardo
    Offline / Send Message
    throttlekitty: Geometry contrains is very cool, why havent i used this before :O THanks.
  • monster