Home Career & Education

Am I good enough to get a job? (portfolio review)

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
Just tell me: can I apply to companies already or should I check if the nearest McDonald's is hiring? https://www.artstation.com/nedporeyra

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    What kind of position would you be interested in? Games or CG for advertisement etc. If its games then I would say you are not ready yet the 2 weapon models you made would benefit from having better textures, the currents ones aren't that good. Did you create high poly models for them?
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Games.
    Zi0 said:
    Did you create high poly models for them?
    Yes. What should I do with the textures?
  • Carliflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carliflower polycounter lvl 3
    I think your portfolio needs a lot of work first.  There are a number of issues that need attention, both technically and presentation-wise.
    1) Focus - As your portfolio stands right now, I have no idea what kind of artist you are, nor what industry you are looking to get into. Are you looking to get into games? Film? Advertising? Also what do you specialize in? Props? Weapons? Characters? Hard Surfaces? Organics? Texturing?  Find what it is you are truly passionate about, and build your portfolio around that.
    2) Textures - I agree with the above comment on this one.  They could be a lot better.  The Colt 1911, for instance, is reading closer to concrete or plaster than metal to me, particularly in that first image.
    3) Meshes - You have a lot of n-gons in those wireframe shots, which are pretty much a no-go with every renderer or game engine, especially if anything needs to animate.  Make sure your meshes are quads and tris only (if animating - only quads)
    4) Project Naming and Descriptions - You are really self depreciating and unprofessional with these. "Random Sketches, Scribbles, and Leftovers" doesn't sound like something you show to employers, it sounds like an afterthought of unfinished and old lesser quality work (which should be removed from your portfolio, not on display - people will focus on your least polished work).  Likewise, your descriptions on the projects all talk about how they aren't as good as you wanted or are treated as a blog - this does not look good to recruiters.  Instead, talk about your process, what software you used, etc.  Your portfolio is how you convince an employer that you're what they're looking for, so sell yourself.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

No, not yet.

Just commenting on the two weapon props, I'd suggest reworking from start to finish and if your system (PC Desktop/Laptop) is compatible, use a dedicated texture program, which a popular choice such as Substance Painter would be ideal however if not an option then research PBR Principled BSDF workflow for game asset surfacing i.e. Principled Baker (Blender 2.79 - 8x) Addon as an example on what is available, natively.

• lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Sure you can, just be realistic with where you apply to. Will AAA games hire you with that portfolio? Probably not yet.
    Are there games out there with the same quality or lower as your portfolio? Absolutely. There's a lot more of those than AAA games.

Go for those companies who will benefit from hiring you and work your way up as you improve throughout your career.
  • maxsc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxsc polycounter lvl 6
    Agree with all the above, but especially with your descriptions. For example I found the Rick and Morty fan art to be more interesting than the rest, but than I read the descriptions and all I could see was "failed project" and "i gave up". That's a really terrible way to describe a project.

I would also remove the procedural muscle tutorial. Mostly because I don't really see the point of it. It's not linked to any of your project and the way you end it... I mean the closing remarks ends with "don't expect it often". 

• ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shouldn't speak highly about things I did. That's inappropriate, even a social outcast like me knows this.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Agree with all the points made above on the portfolio.
    You don't have to "praise" your work in the description. But you shouldn't self-depreciate. It comes across as unprofessional and won't benefit you when trying to find a job.
    Look at descriptions from other weapon artists for example (or other artwork in general). It's a well formulated description of what the project entails, maybe even some technical descriptions like the amount of texture sets etc. Just describe what the project is on an objective level. Put yourself in the shoes of a viewer/recruiter and write your description in a way where they can quickly understand what the artwork is about.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Your work isn't bad, but right now you sound a lot like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. If potential employers see you doing stuff like calling yourself a nobody, a social outcast, and putting down all of your own work, nobody is going to hire you even when you put out work which is professional level. People might avoid following you on ArtStation because of the negativity (including recruiters). I was putting out garbage a few years ago, but my project descriptions were showing that I was pumped about what I was doing. Even if you speak about yourself like this in person, I would leave these sort of comments off your art, especially since you're looking to be employed.

If you feel this bad about yourself as a person, it's important to speak to someone about this, whether it's someone who cares about you, or a professional. If you need to chat, feel free to send me a PM.
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree, but if so many people have the same impression, then most likely the rest of the population will have similar reaction. I'll keep my opinions out of my work and add technical descriptions. Maybe I should make a personal website and put my opinions there, while keeping professional work separated. 
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    You can still talk about your struggles, but keep it professional. No matter where. As an Artist, try to be professional everywhere you present your work. For example you can write a blog post about what you struggled most with. But then do a detailed breakdown of it and write an analysis of what you can do better next time. Don't cry about it, don't be negative. That will not attract employers and opportunities. Try to stay objective about your work and write about it in that manner.  
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    For McDonald's you must have at least 3-4 years of experience in the role otherwise they won't put you in the kitchen to cook hamburgers...( true story )

For the portfolio part listen to the suggestions and critique you received above. I like the Episcope statue, i think it's well done and shows creativity however the weapons and props are not at a professional level. With professional i mean that people would pay for your works if you sell them.

There is also another problem: you sound depressed as fuck in the description of your artworks. You should stop for a sec and think if you are really enjoying doing 3D or not.
    If you like it and you are depressed for other things than don't write about them in public. Keep the description technical or without any "yeah i just gave up" or similar.
    Remember what Shakespeare said: "All the world is a stage".

As a self taught artist myself i'll tell you that it took me many and many months to reach a level where people started paying for my works. I made shitty works for like 5-6 months straight but i never gave up, i kept watching tutorials, reading books and practicing because at least in my case, CG is the only thing that i enjoy doing every day.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    YF_Sticks said:
    You can still talk about your struggles, but keep it professional. No matter where. As an Artist, try to be professional everywhere you present your work. For example you can write a blog post about what you struggled most with. But then do a detailed breakdown of it and write an analysis of what you can do better next time. Don't cry about it, don't be negative. That will not attract employers and opportunities. Try to stay objective about your work and write about it in that manner.  
    This... 

Explain the problem, then explain how you solved it or avoided it.   

Problem solving is a valuable skill - emphasise it.

As far as your work goes..
    Your modelling seems alright,  your surfacing leaves a fair bit to be desired - put the same amount of work into analysing a surface as you do into the shapes and you'll make great strides.
    Don't worry about learning new software - painter is great but it doesn't make you a better artist. 
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Yes. What should I do with the textures?
    Textures on the pistols look procedural generated. The 1911 has this weird generic metal with heavy wear on every part, you dont see metals like these on pistols. Take a closer look at real firearms and work made by other artists. Examples below:

Scratches and wear are on places that make sens and you see oil stains etc

• ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably no one cares, but I made a couple of changes. These are still not hand painted textures, but that's the best I have time for right now. I need to make bigger assets.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Here's some advice. It's a bit gloomy: really nobody cares. Nobody cares a damn about you. Until they think you got something to offer them. Then all of a sudden they wanna be best friends. The human is a selfish animal, made worse by capatilism and made even worse still by overpopulation.

It's not entirely true, because people here do like to help. But it's more like a collective mindset. You put out the info, some will take what they need and succ3d, others will fail. Impossible to care about an individual  when there is too many people and so much disconnection. Like I was just out rabbit hunting. Do I care about single rabbit? No I kill and eat him. Do I care about the rabbits as whole being healthy and free? Yes I want them to have the very best rabbit life. 

In any case, self reliance and strength of character is essential. At end of day only can rely on yourself. If you don't agree it's a blessed life you live.

That's why enjoying the work you do regardless of your current skill level is so important. If you emotionally dependent on validation from others that's gonna be rough and you'll be like dog chasing weiner on a stick. Never will get what you want. Or if you do, in back of mind you understand how shallow and pointless it all is. Make you sad.

Chase mastery for your own sake. Use feedback from others like scientific data, not emotional support. For that, learn to be your own castle. Take care of yourself, because nobody else will.

You'll keep improving so long as you keep the faith. Many people quit too soon, and it's a shame.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Also getting job at McD's is not a negative thing. It's positive. You work hard and do what you got to do to achieve your dreams, you push deeper and go longer than others, it will pay back in long run. You'll make friends that will open doors, gain valuable experience you may never get if you only have one career, and the more experience you acquire and learn from the more opportunities you have later in life.

If you think you got nothing to learn from working at McD's you a fool. You can learn how to run a.company, among many other essential skills.

Sadly, as much as I love games I think if you spend too much time playing them it has profoundly negative effect on psyche. Sets unrealistic expectations in the subconscious. Have to go through a lot of pain to learn what level of patience and humility and hard work real life demands.
  • tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
    I'd say finish few more props or characters, because those you have now are a bit simple and don't showcase your abilities too much.