Home Technical Talk

Which software is it better to model with?

Hey guys, 

I just wanna ask which software do you prefer to model with. Either C4D oder Blender 2.8? And please tell why do chose this software and maybe tell some postive and negative aspects. 

Replies

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I mainly use subdivision modelling, so Modo is the way to go for me (i use a old version because the new ones have less perfomance in viewports). 

Max is great, and Blender aswell with a few plugins. I'm using it since months and although its perfomance is pretty bad, the overall is top notch, pretty good.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    What kind of models are you trying to make?

Remember that there's still Blender 2.79 (the last nightly version with all the final bug fixes and features), it works better on older/medium-level systems.  
    The last build of 2.79 is from July 2019, so if anyone tries to convince that it's an old version, you can tell them off by making beautiful art with it.

• Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    I'm a long time blender 2.79/ sometimes 2.8 user, and I just got my hands on c4d recently. I'm not sure If I'm missing something, but c4d seems to be the inferior program in every way, with some small exceptions. C4D has excellent NURBs and related tools, and has a better system for SOME modifiers, and a faster raytracer, that is really hard to do proper PBR in, and a hassle to work with. Aside from that, blender has far better poly/subdiv modeling, that is more versatile and faster to use, and is more intuitive as of 2.8. Blender also has far better viewport/renderer sych as of 2.8, while unimportant, trying to work with C4Ds nonsensical viewport/renderer equivalencies gets really annoying really fast. C4D has better/quicker procedural/volumetric solid shaders, sort of.

With blender, the plugin marketplace really extends the software far up and beyond what exists in any of the major professional packages, but people make it sound like it's unity, where you need plugins to make blender viable, which is far and away from reality. Blender is an excellent package with a plugin shop that can sometime extend efficiency to unprecedented levels. ie blender is excellend for hard surface modeling, but with hardops, and even better, with that really expensive/sophisticated quad remesher, meshMACHINE, and UVPackmaster, you can pump out medium sized AAA quality hard surface enviroment models with really low polycounts, near perfect UVs and amazing detail in ~20 minutes. Compare that to ~45 with vanilla blender and ~120 with c4d. Even without spending money I'd say blender is the better product. Blender is also coming out with an amazing AI Denoiser, and a really great smoke/fire operator as of the past month. I'm not opposed to paying for software like alot of the obnoxious parts of the blender community, and I'm an allegorithmic substance subscriber. Technically, c4d has substance support, but if you try doing anything with exported textures, or substance designer, or anything that isnt a substance painter livelink, setting up metal/rough PBR in c4d is an insane hassle, getting packed textures in ie roughness/metallic/cavity is really fucking annoying. Substance really works better with blender, and setting up packed textures in it is far quicker. Sure, there's no livelink, but you'll find yourself rarely using such a feature anyway.

As for blender 2.79/2.8 2.79 has a slightly faster workflow that takes significantly longer to learn than 2.8. Blender 2.8 is amazing for beginners, and is going to see a lot more support going foward, so while I wish they kept more from 2.79, and I still use 2.79 for certain operations, I'm gonna ultimately recommend learning 2.8 if you're starting now. It's just so much more intuitive for learners.

TL;DR C4D good, more respected in industry, blender much better
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    it couldnt matter less. max and maya are the most used in industry but theyre quickly being supplanted by blender 2.8.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    I use Maya LT but between the 2 i'd choose Blender because C4D is very slow for modeling from what i tested out in the past.
    It is drop down menu based and because of that you spend 10 minutes only to search for a tool.

In any case you should use the software that you like the most. There are top notch artists out there like Cornelius Dämmrich and Vitaly Bulgarov that use Cinema 4D and XSI Softimage respectively and they are both very proficient in what they do ( environments for Cornelius and hard surface design for Vitaly ) so software doesn't matter as long as you like it.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Either organic or hard surface polygonal subdiv...it's really just a question of user preference, rather than 'out of the box' functionality.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The one you are more comfortable with will usually be the best option. Of course that doesn't mean you should stick to XYZ shitty workflow and never branch out but... The time it takes to ramp up in another persons/studios preferred app will easily eclipse the time it takes to just bust out the model in something you're familiar with. 

That's not to say you shouldn't shop around for the fastest workflow possible, you totally should.

I have equal experience modeling in 3dsmax and Maya and I prefer 3dsmax for modeling 75% of the time and maya for minor tweaks and 100% for animating.

I do find myself using zBrush more and more for a lot of things that I would traditionally model.

I tried out latest release of blender and while they've made some huge strides forward they haven't removed nearly enough friction from their workflows to be able to switch over. As much as I would love to flush Autodesk and their horrible business practices and piss-poor development, I'm stuck with them for a while longer.