Home Career & Education

"If they invited you for a job interview, then you're already good enough" - how true is that?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
I don't remember where I heard that, but the full quote goes somewhat like this: "if they invited you for a job interview, then you're already good enough; the talk is about getting to know you as a human, deciding if you'd fit in the company". Do you think this is true at all?

Replies

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    If the company is abroad and invites you to their HQ for the interview then yes, you are basically hired because they won't probably spend 2k € for a round trip airline ticket to just say "we choose another candidate, bye".
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To the OP : depends. "Invited" could mean many different things, depending on the distances involved and whether or not travel expenses are paid.
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
    Well, I don't remember that part being mentioned. I think it was supposed to be an "all-around advice" for artists.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I think its a generalization caused by the higher bar to entry. Basically if they are even willing to talk to you, you have at least caught their attention or show some kind of hireability. I don't think it's anything based on any empirical evidence
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I do know of cases where a company flew a colleague of mine to a studio, paid for hotel expenses and he didn't get the position.
    Its a tax write off in the end so doesn't really matter in the long term.
    Also not entirely sure what good enough means, like there is a bar certainly but the disconnect between HR, devs and management means that a position that you're interviewing for might suddenly cease to exist.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It certainly means you're good enough for consideration. But--especially if it's a phone interview, or a local interview they don't have to fly you out for--you're probably not the only person under consideration, and it's possible that they think one of the other candidates has a slightly better portfolio. If both of your perform about the same in the interview, they'll go with the other candidate.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Also be mindful of work experience being a factor in them deciding candidates.

Out here its commonplace to believe that portfolio guarantees a job for some reason but in the real world there are a lot of factors that influence a final decision that have little to nothing to do with your portfolio.

Who you know plays a big role too, not to mention that what you have in your portfolio will likely not reflect on what you're assigned to do at work.

It is simply a filter to weed out the safest possible bet from a large pool of candidates at the cheapest possible price with the maximum incentive to the company taking into account tax credits, grants and diversity quotas.

If its important to you to prove to yourself about how good of an artist you are work on branding yourself with your art, then you will have more say in what they think they want.

Learn to look for value in what you have to offer. You can find a place that gives you the right work life balance and environment for a meaningful life.

In addition to that you can also consider working freelance with a wider range of clients not limited only to the game industry.

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's a pretty good indication that your portfolio is strong enough. 

Most of the people I haven't hired after a face to face interview have been beaten out by somebody who objectively fit the role better,  most of the rest have turned the job down and gone somewhere they liked better. 

Contrary to the worryingly popular belief that there's an industry wide conspiracy designed to mess new people around, nobody is going to waste time and resources on interviewing someone who doesn't have decent work. 
    It's expensive, time consuming and it takes senior people away from the teams they should be leading - it's not an activity that's taken lightly

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's usually a good indication to get an on-site interview, regardless of where said studio is - but you never know what's going on internally at said studio and you don't know the calibre of other candidates they may also be interviewing.
    Andreicus said:
    If the company is abroad and invites you to their HQ for the interview then yes, you are basically hired because they won't probably spend 2k € for a round trip airline ticket to just say "we choose another candidate, bye".
    I mean, flights rarely cost that much unless you're going RTW. If you're flying within Europe it usually costs the studio 60-200 euros, which isn't much at all in the grand scheme of hiring costs.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee said:
    It's usually a good indication to get an on-site interview, regardless of where said studio is - but you never know what's going on internally at said studio and you don't know the calibre of other candidates they may also be interviewing.
    Andreicus said:
    I mean, flights rarely cost that much unless you're going RTW. If you're flying within Europe it usually costs the studio 60-200 euros, which isn't much at all in the grand scheme of hiring costs.
    Yes I know, it was an example. 
    If you go to the other side of the globe let's say eu to asia the price is around 1600 €.

For Europe going from Italy to Germany is more or less 300 €.
    But my point was that even if the price is low, I don't think that a company would call you over in another country only to say "we choose another candidate". 
    It's a waste of time for both. 
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's true enough, but your price estimations are way off - for example a flight from a major EU city to somewhere like KLCC or Singapore is usually in the ballpark of 250 euros, sometimes less (https://snipboard.io/dJ4xX0.jpg), Germany to Italy can be something like 30 euros (https://snipboard.io/oeTznC.jpg).

1600 euros will make a company think twice, if it's much less than 500 euros, then the real question is whether it's worth the interviewer's time and disruption to their normal work day.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee said:
    It's true enough, but your price estimations are way off - for example a flight from a major EU city to somewhere like KLCC or Singapore is usually in the ballpark of 250 euros, sometimes less (https://snipboard.io/dJ4xX0.jpg), Germany to Italy can be something like 30 euros (https://snipboard.io/oeTznC.jpg).

1600 euros will make a company think twice, if it's much less than 500 euros, then the real question is whether it's worth the interviewer's time and disruption to their normal work day.
    30 for a round trip fly ticket? A friend of mine went Rome Berlin and paid 250 euros in economic class.
    And round trip ticket to Japan so 14-16 hours of flight is 1600 euros. 800 and 800.

Thats what I read on the official airline company site in Italy
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I would think so. A personality test. I know at a previous studio, I was with the team when we interviewed a couple of potential candidates. All of them seemed like they could fit, but I guess it boiled down to other factors, like salary, where they are in their career, what they're looking for, etc.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:
    ambershee said:

30 for a round trip fly ticket? A friend of mine went Rome Berlin and paid 250 euros in economic class.
    And round trip ticket to Japan so 14-16 hours of flight is 1600 euros. 800 and 800.

Thats what I read on the official airline company site in Italy
    Just for clarity sake because i wrote this answer when i was working so i couldn't check anything. I went to the site of Alitalia that is one of the main airline companies in Italy and it's a normal airline company, not a low cost.

The prices varies a lot based on the season but on average a rome-berlin round trip ticket cost around 100 €.
    A Rome-Tokyo round trip ticket cost 650 €.
    My friend paid around 250 € because it was in August i believe.

It's in italian but this is for Rome-Berlin and goes from October to March and it shows the minum price for a round trip ticket:

Same as before but for Rome-Tokyo ( 12h or 13h fly without stopovers ):

Of course the price go up significantly based on the travel class.

So to make it short, my prices were high than the real ones but yours are too low speaking for a normal airplane with normal services on board ( no low cost ).

Anyway this is off topic.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    It depends, for junior who is looking for a first his first job getting an interview means there is potential. For a senior it means there is a very big chances of getting the job but the interview is to check his financial expectations and his personality etc. I personally know people who got interviews abroad and AAA studios payed for their tickets and hotel but didn't hire them in the end.