Home Marmoset

Light leak

Hello, it would be amazing if I could get some help with rendering interiors in Marmoset. The problem is that I get these light leaks coming through the mesh. It seems to happen whenever I attempt an interior scene. I would like the scene to be lit by HDRI light coming through a window. The image below is just a test to see if the issue can be solved before I go on to modelling everything. I've brought the mesh from 3DCoat.

After reading a few posts/tutorials, they suggested the following:

Cull back faces
Adjust voxel fit
Enable local reflections
Change voxel resolution to high
Give thickness to your mesh

None of which have worked fully.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Jamie

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Light leaks are an unfortunate side effect of the voxel based global illumination. Increasing hte voxel resolution is generally the best way to deal with it but it looks like you've already done that. Another thing to try and do is limit the size of the scene. The voxel range will automatically be sized to fit all the objects in your scene, so if you have a very large scene or elements off screen some distance away it's best to remove them if you can.

You can try adjusting the Voxel Fit Size as well, more information on that here: https://marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-3-global-illumination/

One other thing, it looks like your material is set to be very reflective - it says rubber there so reflectivity should be about 4% (or metalness = 0). Having the reflectivity set too high will make any specular GI light leaking issues very apparent.
  • Jamieslimmon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much Earthquake. I saw that you had responded to another post about this issue in Jan2019. Yes, I did try the Voxel fir size and it didn't help me. But I shall have another look at the materials.
  • Jamieslimmon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked the Voxel fit and changed the material to low reflectivity. Still no joy unfortunately. I've scene some great interior renders from Marmoset. So there must be a solution somewhere. frustrating though.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I figured out the issue, now how much is the information worth to you. ;)

maybe i kid have to make a solutions video or image bundle, might help marmo with the issue also idk, but am i good idk? have no clue if i figured it out tbh i could've done the wrong thing, we will see.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Here does all the rendering modes marmoset allows, Gi, no Gi, 2x high dpi, with gloss without, yadda yadda.

Did i do it? If you've seen it i wasn't the only one to figure it out, i added a window like you mentioned to the roof so a "sun roof", i tried to get an insane high quality video but it would take long to mess with all the codec stuff to get it right and idk if this is that serious.  It looks super sexy on my end, the room was supposed to look like a soft peach idk what it looks like to everyone else.

Anywho, is this what you wanted?

edit:
    figured out the quality issue:

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Oof i forget sry, people forget anywhoozle,
    The light leak issue is solved by using a dark HDRI and a AO or custom AO i used an AO that it right at the edges of the sharp 90 degree angles.

^If anyone needs more information than that you can let me know.
    quick save:
    ^Here i mention my experience if it helps the issues.

Hope that helps people out and marmo to fix the issue on their end somehow, idk tbh i got lucky. 
    Consider this an Early xmas gift. Giving credit will lift my spirits this took a few hours..

For my test i used a Custom AO i made by hand in photoshop, gradient tool, real easy.(for the look of the room i wanted to get across.)(the custom normals was to see if beveling on the interior was the issue.)

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

Working on all voxel levels now ^

3RD update: removed clutter - Updated:(i also tested adjusting the scene to the voxels on the 0.000 level of scaling, so scaled the box/scene in marmoset to see if that would fix the issue, i.e. making the scene exactly to the bounding box of the default voxel setting, whatever that is..)

Marmoset:
    So i am a bit confused now, came back to it because that line was bothering me and i wanted to see if i could fix it one last time as far as i know it fixes itself if you * click,  re-voxelize, show voxel, then from low back to medium setting back to low setting.(it will pop away the lighting lines and sort itself.)
    But when doing this does it stay stuck on medium and only appear to be using the low? i also uncheck re-voxelize.
    Then i can also change the brightness in the settings above re-voxlize and it works ? so is it working cause if it is this is the fix or the issue with the low setting and people having problems.

Marmoset HDRI Light Leak Problem Fixed ?
    https://youtu.be/nhodES-o628?t=25Whats going on in the video is i am showing the "lighting errors" then fixing them once i do the ^ * above tip.