Home Technical Talk

Trim Sheet floaters seams problem

Hello this is my first post and i am trying to find answer for my problem. I dont have any visible seam on my normal map but i get such when i cut detail in my mesh. I watched alex senechal tutorial and he didnt have such problem when cutting detail from normal map. I really dont know how to fix that problem. I tried recomputing normals in UE4 and ticking off tangent space in material editor but that dont help. Seams appear also in max.

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    if the seams also apear in max, then I guess either/or the surfact isn't planar, normals/smoothing isn't uniform and you have different groups setup.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
  • Atillas23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Simple  plane. I inset and applied just normal map. 1 smoothing group . Still appear. I don't have problem in blender and when i export form blender to UE4 but i have to work now in 3ds max and have to solve that mystery
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
     Not much of a mystery when you look at the color value difference...color pick the pixel on the edge of the floater and if it's not 128 128 255, you are making detail at the edge of the float.

Anyway the diffusion/blur of the normal map detail is off the chart. remake the normal detail so it's sharper and doesn't diffuse so far or don't crop the edge of the floater until the normal map value is sitting neutral at 128 128 255.

basically the reason why you can see the edge of the floater is because you are adding normal map detail there. Thus changing the normal direction/light direction change via the normal map pixels.

tldr: make the color seamless at the edge of the floater to the thing it floats on.
  • Atillas23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankk you! i Tried baking in xnormal and i dont get seams for now