Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What is my next step? Please C&C

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
MrRstar polycounter lvl 7
I'm trying to break out of my rut in my stylized skills. I just finished this yesterday and would love some feedback on what it is i'm not seeing/doing to make my stuff really great.

The site isn't allowing me to use the sketchfab insert so here is the link for a closer look. https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/treasure-chest-6b835c70207d44d892df137fc7d63b59

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Hi,
    tldr; No interesting details at, everything. Floor is lacking volume changes, how is it opening with the lock closed, there is no locking latch to make use of the lock to begin with.
    No beveling on metal or wood, i expected a shadow between chest and floor (idk why. think it would add a nice look, i could be wrong, personal preference..)

The shredded floor is a touch distracting, i would make something like the below \/ or do a fade out but ^ also add volume and rocks at the sides and stuff to make it look like it exists in a game/scene.

I got time: (iGT) It has been said that reviewing popular works helps with seeing the differences between (something i did) vs (something that they did) & possibly why one is more popular than the other. So a reference like this: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JlgWBZ

Would go far in reviewing, why is it interesting? to me it looks like an asset worth seeking, say if i was exploring say w.o.w. and came across this chest in a hidden cave. I would be like holyshit whats in it, "purple item", ?.

Where as (no offense) looking at yours would be like i hope it isn't trash (in-game), not to be harsh (but sometimes a good push is needed, its out of wanting to see you do better) its also that i made a chest a long time ago also for an art test (2009?), i added a dead pile of person bones and got no response because i too didn't do much review(or make it interesting) & tbh i sort of made the exact same chest you did..minus the glowing.

Now-a-days everyone wants interesting designs at least from what i see is popular/trending... Hope it helps, remember not personal situations just a tough love kind of response. I learned to get hard skin and thus everyone must also, you asked for it. :)
  • MrRstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRstar polycounter lvl 7
    This is precisely the sort of thing i'm looking for. i often need a good kick to get me back on track. thank you