Home Technical Talk

The thing about learning render engine

node
Offline / Send Message
Kenbro node
Here's the thing ,  I'm looking tutorial for redshift or octane,but most of tutorial are render plugin for c4d,I don't wanna spend more time to learn c4d first just for learning render.I would like to learn render in maya or standalone version,I know there's redshift for maya in gnomon workshop,but that's about 2016.
I just wondering is it ok to learn render engine from different 3D software?like learning redshift in maya by watching redshift for c4d or houdini.I've searched render tutorial and all of them are for c4d :'(

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Basically I do the same thing with some modeling tutorials sometimes. For example, I've followed a 3ds Max tutorial, while still doing all the modeling in Blender. Mostly these kind of things are interchangeable, and same results can be achieved in the end.

In your case, you're having same renderers Octane and Redshift. Do they differ much between C4D and Maya much, when you're trying to use them in Maya? is the interface or functonalities different or same?

Also, I think Maya specifically has a reputation with Arnold renderer nowadays. At least with a quick search from YouTube, FlippedNormals has done a great tutorial for using Arnold in Maya.

It's up to you if you wish to stick with Octane, Redshift or Arnod. Your choice.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Render Engines are working more or less the same in different DCCs.
    If you know how to work with Redshift in Maya its to problem todo the same in C4D.
    Modern render engines are getting more and more standardised.
    In the backgound the work all with Nvidias  Optix and the shaders are all inspired by the Disney PBR papers.

Here are two channels i would recommend.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUNokXBHp-7b_E6cDG4UA6A/featured
    https://www.youtube.com/user/URsProductions/playlists

• Kenbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kenbro node
    Thanks for reply,I took a quick review on redshift forr c4d,there's some different on the lights icon and shader graph
    I'm worry that I would spend too much time to figure out the same feature between may and c4d.