Home Career & Education

How common are standing desks in the industry?

fu_films
triangle
Offline / Send Message
fu_films triangle
just curious as I switched a year ago and cant go back to sitting.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I don't use one but quite a few of my coworkers do and I would say they've been commonplace at the studios I've worked at for the last 6 or 7 years or so.  I think most studios are pretty accommodating when it comes to employees' comfort and will usually set you up with whatever ergonomic equipment you need within reason.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not in games anymore, at a tech company now, but the funny thing is every single desk here is a motorized standing-sitting desk, and the employee count is in the thousands. Every single desk!

Like he said, tech companies "get it" , and want employees to be happy and productive. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    £1000 on a desk is nothing compared to the cost of sickness due to RSI etc. It makes no sense to refuse a request for one if it's reasonable. 
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea, my whole studio is standing desks and I use mine regularly.  I also got one at home...this line of work just kills your back...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea there are quite a few of them here at WB Montreal as well. any decent sized company it will probably be a non issue, it's simply a tax write off for them anyways. Like poopipe says, even 2-3 sick days because someones back is messed up or just due to the overall health impact of a sedentary lifestyle we tend to have is less cost effective than buying a standing desk, especially if you are buying them enmasse and getting a discount. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    almost all desks on our studio are, but i have to admit, i barely ever use it
  • fu_films
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fu_films triangle
    thanks very much for all the replies
  • JonBick0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonBick0 polycounter lvl 3
    if you ask for one they prolly wont hesitate to get you one, that how it is at my work!
  • brittanydrewapicture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brittanydrewapicture polycounter lvl 7
    Most VFX studios I've been to offer them but require you to get a medical note from your doctor. It's easy and soo worth it. I've had a standing desk since my first job and can't go back. I even made sure to have one at home and recently got a motorized one which is rather handy. I'm probably at 75% standing and 25% sitting day to day. =) 
    Some places I've been to don't have that option but they were okay with makeshift options. I've built one makeshift rig from Ikea desk elements for those times and it worked pretty well. If anyone wants the design feel free to reach out.