Home Career & Education

Help with assignment on working as a freelancer in concept art?

Hi everyone!
I'm currently doing a Games Art course at a college in the UK, and have an assignment on making a guide to being a freelancer. I need evidence of contact with freelancers to complete the assignment. It would be extremely helpful if anyone could help with answering some of these questions:
- Resources needed to be a freelancer?
- How professional would you have to be?
- Any health and safety things to be aware of?
- Types of contracts in freelancing?
- How would taxes work as a freelancer?
- Any other legal things to be aware of?

It's quite a bit to answer, but any information or advice would be very beneficial for me. Thanks!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you seen our wiki? Also see the Sticky at the top of this section. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

- How professional would you have to be?

what is this supposed to mean?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Liability Insurance is an important something I rarely see mentioned. You don't want to get financially ruined for leaving a USB stick on a train. 

Taxes depend on what sort of self employed you are. The inland revenue website has plenty of info in the self-assessment sections. you'll either want to act as a sole trader or start a company so read up on those. (UK) 

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    poopipe said:
    Liability Insurance is an important something I rarely see mentioned. You don't want to get financially ruined for leaving a USB stick on a train. 

Taxes depend on what sort of self employed you are. The inland revenue website has plenty of info in the self-assessment sections. you'll either want to act as a sole trader or start a company so read up on those. (UK) 

besides that, always encrypt your data storage.