Home General Discussion

Future new features in zbrush

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Will we ever have rendering directly in zbrush like its vray,arnold,corona etc. ?
Also i think zbrush need clothing simulation and sewing, and some better and quick way to UV/unwrap models.

What do you guys think?

I really hope and i am optimistic to see this happening in the next 5-10 years.

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Cloth simulation that allows you to sculpt/model your outfit design as a mesh, place it over the body and then have it compute folds based on a range of parameters - basically the type of sim that was in 3D apps a decade or two ago already - that in fast and stable and ideally with local masking: yes please!

Sewing and generally the requirement to pick up part of a tailor's skillset: for all I care that entire workflow can die in a fire, thankyouverymuch. :)

• Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have been thinking for years that zbrush cloth sim would be my dream enhancement

re the the second part of your post thomasp, I laughed because i totally agree:) we can all bin marvelous designer then
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I thought this thread would be about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8sUd_vvgDk
  • corymeyer
    Offline / Send Message
    corymeyer polycounter lvl 6

It seems doubtful (in my opinion) that ZBrush would develop direct rendering, when there is already the Keyshot bridge. I read somewhere on the OTOY forums that Pixologic has an exclusive agreement with Luxion.

Pixologic did showcase their Peel UV plugin which was going to be in ZBrush 2019, but was delayed for technical problems.

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Just take an entire release and do a quality of life release. Implement a real unit system, fix the perspective issues that are still in Zbrush. Add some methodology to compliment ZModeler in terms of precision and snapping. Theyre already adding things that make orientation of sculpts easier with the new view cube, why not go all the way with it? Solve some of the weirdness with preferences and startup by condensing it into a standardized configuration menu with the various startup changes available.

Since this is a wishlist. For UVing I'm not so hopeful honestly, I feel like the peel will be a welcome improvement but I'm holding my breath more for the Max 2020 roadmap feature stating a machine-learning driven UV unwrapper
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I don't really need too mnay fancy new features. don't really want it to turn in to a hard surface modelling program, just improved sculpting and bug fixes
    UI is fine for me and I have always liked it
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I only ask just one thing: n-gons support

Mudbox has it since day 1.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ruz said:
    I don't really need too mnay fancy new features. don't really want it to turn in to a hard surface modelling program, just improved sculpting and bug fixes
    Had surface has been there since the modeling brush I think.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    kanga said:
    Ruz said:
    Had surface has been there since the modeling brush I think.
    Yea and it is used pretty frequently for that purpose so I wouldn't see the harm in rounding out the hardsurface tools with a grid or unit system
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Kanga i do relaise that of course:/,just that I would prefer they focused on actual sculptiing, plenty of other programs for hard surface stuff

I have used the modelling tools and they are ok i guess, but meh ,something put me off using it to model something really technical
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    It's a bit of a hassle finding ways to approximate your normal workflow in a standard modelling app. Once you do though its pretty amazing what you can get done with modelling and sculpting hard surface in zB. Quite a blast really.
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well yeah its ok, but have they fixed that thing where if you add edge loops, it messes up uv's?

anyway I might give it another try at some point
  • Michalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Michalo polycounter lvl 2
    The new 2020 features are pretty dope. But for me proper retopo tools and fixing scale issues would be perfect - my only wishes. I hate fighting with scale, it drives me crazy.

The cloth sim is nonsense I think. Why would zbrush need that? It looks like some people think it could be all in one solution, with all fancy features. There's Bledner and it has it all.

The 2019 NPR release clearly shown that ZBrush is and won't be about rendering. Keyshot is integrated  and it's not so expensive. 350 bucks for nicely featured renderer? Come on..

But yeah, it would be cool to have GoZ's that work nicely for all different renderers. And integration would be very cool.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ruz said:
    well yeah its ok, but have they fixed that thing where if you add edge loops, it messes up uv's?

anyway I might give it another try at some point
    Oh yeah ok. I guess everyone uses zB differently. The only time I use uvs is for something like patternmaker. The rest I do on the lowpoly in another app.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Yea see quality of life things like what Ruz is saying, there is no reason Zbrush should wreck UVs when adding an edge loop.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    I'd like it a lot if within zBrush I could (vertex?) paint different maps at the same time, using or not tileable stuff! So either use textured alphas... either tileable materials.. That way you can, say.. scatter some mud, all height blended etc.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I'd like it a lot if within zBrush I could (vertex?) paint different maps at the same time, using or not tileable stuff! So either use textured alphas... either tileable materials.. That way you can, say.. scatter some mud, all height blended etc.
    You sort of can? At least if you work in like RGB values you can paint in masks and use them later in substance painter, or likewise if you're just painting straight materials in zbrush you can bake down MatIDs.

I doubt we will ever see true material mask painting in zbrush without the use of other more specialized apps.