Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4: The Lone Tower [Critique Welcome]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
The goal of this project was to challenge myself in creating a AAA quality exterior scene with the help of the Megascans library. I also wanted to improve my overall composition skills. Since the cooling tower was the main focal point of the scene, I needed to emphasize the scale and importance of the tower by framing it using the broken ceiling. That way when the player turns the corner, the first thing they see is this massive structure towering over them. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6agdkr

"After the Three Mile Island accident, construction of this power plant halted. Left behind was a lone cooling tower that sits over and watches the crumbling plant as nature reclaims its surroundings."

Replies

• Rangaros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rangaros polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the composition and the idea of this being the first thing the player sees when they turn the corner. I would say it's pretty nice and the overgrowth is nicely done where it doesn't feel like too much. I would say the one thing is I think the cooling tower looks a little too clean compared to the state of everything else in the scene.

Here's some examples that I found that shows what I'm talking about:

But overall I feel like this is a really nice scene and feels really feels abandoned when watching the video. I think adding a little grunge and dirt and just some weathering on the cooling tower would really push it up a level.
  • Dreyzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    @Rangaros Thanks for the feedback. One of my biggest concerns was not making the scene too cluttered with foliage. So I'm glad to hear I did well in that regard. I agree with you about the tower being a bit too clean compared to the rest of the environment. I'll work toward adding more grunge and weathering to it. I think that will add a bit more history and character to the tower as well.