Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Krinkov - AKS-74u Carbine

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
fdfxd2 interpolator
Krinkov - AKS-74u Carbine

You knew I knew what I'm doing about because I said carbine and not SMG ;)
Changes from the last update
- Added some wear, it's mostly hand painted(not a huge fan of procedural wear)
- Retextured the magazine to fit with the new colors

Texture sets
- Krinkov : 4096 x 4096, I don't think it needed to be that high though it looked just fine at 2K. I'm sure it helped with the closeups though
- Magazine : 1024 x 1024

Software used
- Blender 2.82
- Substance Painter 2017.3 (Maintenance expired a long time ago)
- Photoshop for post processing

Major thanks to the peeps who helped out in this thread and the bros at the 3D Modelling & Blender discords.

Replies

• Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 4
    I already can tell I like silhouette. It looks stylized and very promising :+1:
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Thanks!

Day 2 + how many ever days I spent on this before

Worked on the rear sight, and I'm laying the ground work for the front sight.

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Take a good look at references, your proportions are a bit off in a couple of places like the barrel.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I saw what you mean. it's not perfect(yet!) but I am adjusting it as I model the front sight

Day 3 + however long I was modelling this...

Not as much progress as I would have liked but I'll probably finish the first pass of modelling before the end of today, hopefully.

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Day 4 + However many days its been since I started

Magazine and a few more changes to the front sight.
    Alright, now for the "refinements"

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Thanks

Day 5 + you get the idea by now

got a massive freaking cold out of nowhere but at least I finished the front bits... and by extension, "phase 1" of the modelling.

Decimation, UV Mapping and baking, that's what's coming up next :) (after I fix some issues I spotted with the safety switch, stock and pistol grip that became apparent once I looked at some new reference of course)
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Day ???

Took me way longer than it should have to decimate/bake this but in my defense this wasn't the only project I was working on.

Texturing the magazine, refining the wood texture(it's uh... yeah) & fixing the lowpoly's normals(didn't triangulate the lowpoly before baking, silly me I know)  and I should be done.

• Stealth23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stealth23 polycounter lvl 7
    Looking awesome! However, that magazine seems a bit too curved for an AKS-74U, though that could be because of the perspective of the renders. It looks more like it has the curve of an AKM mag.

Below is two AKMs (or an AKM and some other AKM style thing) with an AK74 in the middle. The AKS-74U uses the same magazine as the one in the middle.

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    @Stealth23
    Ah I had no idea, thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I work on the gun later
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Day ??? + 2

Yeah the... texturing isn't working out very well sadly, I'm thinking of ditching the purple furniture and just going with a more traditional AK furniture.

I'll give it another shot soon.

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Day - ??? + 3

Almost done! I've corrected all the shading errors, established all the material definitions, now, the only question is...

I kinda like the  clean-ish look of the current textures, I'm debating on whether or not I should keep working on the textures or just call it and get working on the presentation of the model.

What do you guys think?

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    You need to define the materials a bit better especially the metal. Even if you want your weapon to be cleanish I still recommend to add some wear to it in places that make sens.

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I added a tiny bit wear(it's way harder to notice in the final render than it was in my substance viewport but it is there) and rendered it and called it in to work on the next one.

Thanks for the feedback

Barreta M11951 next, I'll try not to take a whole 3 weeks to do this one.... no promises.