Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Daredevil apartment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Amank679 polycounter lvl 5
(moderator note: This discussion was created from comments split from: Creating/Selling 3D Art from an existing property (TV, Film, Games)?. Career & Education isn't the right place for crits. Please feel free to replace this first section with your own content.)

Replies

• Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good. Be sure to post it on here so we can see how it goes.
    So I've been takig some time to refresh my mid with UE4 and I'm not sure what seems to be causing these dotten shadows. Even when I m
    So I've been working a good bit on that environment. I went back and did a refresher course on UE4, collected several references and am finishing up the general block out of the environment. I'll be posting it very soon. 
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I'm not sure what shadows you're talking about, and your sentence kind of trailed off there. If there is supposed to be an image here I'm not seeing it. 
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what shadows you're talking about, and your sentence kind of trailed off there. If there is supposed to be an image here I'm not seeing it. 
    Oh sorry about that. Yes, that was for another issue I was going to address later. Here is that issue. I think it just has to do with the Lightmapping aspect since none of my assets are Uved yet.

Now, as for the error below in red, I'm not sure what caused that. I opened the project earlier today and that's what I saw. It also keeps crashing. When I try to rebuild lighting, the program crashes with the below error. I'm not sure if it's a GPU error, but my drivers are all up to date.

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea what that is all about. Try posting this to Polycount's Unreal 4 forum or to Epic's support forum https://answers.unrealengine.com . And try that "bug submission form" link that UE4 message window and see where that gets you.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi james,
    I've been working on and off a couple of different projects, but I thought I'd share the progress I've made on the environent so far:
    For scope, I've trimmed the environment down with focus on the living room, dining room areas and parts of the kitchen.

I've also attached photos of the actual area as a reference.
    I'd love to get for feedback on this when you have a moment.

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty neat, good job.
    My only crit would be it looks a little flat and maybe abit too bright. 
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good so far. To get your scene to match the proportions of the reference better, I would suggest making the cross beams smaller, and raising up the ceiling and windows a bit. It's hard to tell if the cross beams are angled up in your scene like the ref or not, but that angle helps the space feel less 'low clearance' Also increasing the focal length of your camera a bit would help if you were planning to try match things up really closely. 
    Oh, and You might want to label your reference images more clearly, when I first scrolled down I thought "Wow, that looks so real!" then I actually read your post and realized those three images are your reference. Ha ha.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang said:
    Looks pretty neat, good job.
    My only crit would be it looks a little flat and maybe abit too bright. 
    Thanks for the reply! The scene needs a good bit of work still. These shots were mostly to show the overall setup and how closely I can get it to resemble the references. There are a few more models left to add as well. The lighting is the default Lighting you start within Unreal. I'll be adjusting that heavily and adding my own lights later on.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good so far. To get your scene to match the proportions of the reference better, I would suggest making the cross beams smaller, and raising up the ceiling and windows a bit. It's hard to tell if the cross beams are angled up in your scene like the ref or not, but that angle helps the space feel less 'low clearance' Also increasing the focal length of your camera a bit would help if you were planning to try match things up really closely. 
    Oh, and You might want to label your reference images more clearly, when I first scrolled down I thought "Wow, that looks so real!" then I actually read your post and realized those three images are your reference. Ha ha.
    Thanks for the reply! I can definitely scale the cross beams down a bit and raise the roof. The cross beams are supposed to be straight and not really angled any certain way. I have yet to play around with the camera, but I'll make that adjustment as well. I'll make sure I label the references a better next time too lol. 

A question I have is that I'm not sure what these pipes are called. I thought It was some kind of air conditioning system, but that's not it.  The reference images don't do a good job of showing a clear picture of all the details on it so I was going to google that and model form there. 

Here's the reference:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a steam radiator, used for heating.
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a steam radiator, used for heating.
    Ok, awesome! Thanks!
  • Amank679
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, working away on my Daredevil Apartment but came across an issue with ncloths. I'm trying to create a custom blanket simulation over a couch, but for whatever reason, the animation itself is really slow even if I adjust the playback speed. my ncloth object isn't anything crazy, just 30x30 polys with 1 height. I'm using default attributes on the object as well.

Not sure if it's some new update in Maya 2020, or if there some settings I need to change.
    Please let me know your thoughts.