Home Technical Talk

"After Zbrush" workflow

Hello guys

I'm new in the forum, and new in the big world of the 3D character modeling (for games, around 1 year). I did a couple of courses, and I'm quite confident with Zbrush at this stage, but I'm on that point that I would continue my models with some cool texture and make a good render. So I just started a course for learning Substance Painter. Here comes my problem. I been looked for a good tutorial or course that could explain the correct workflow between zbrush and substance painter. I learned that, having a 11 milion poly model, I need to decimate it, make a retopology, bake UVs and maps high and low poly, and then I can finally have my model to import in substance so I can play around with my textures.
Sounds everything great, but I have no idea how to do all this stuff, and I know for sure that if you guys just reply telling me what to do I will still not understand, so at the end my question is: some of you have videos, tutorials (that I can see), courses, anything that can explain step by step this process that looks so difficult for me?
Thank a lot :)

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Another alternative is learning online. Some time ago I was in the position you are now. Hunting for tutorials was difficult I just needed an explanation from start to finish. So after a long search I decided to take part in an online course. I picked one with Jon Rush. It was great and I thoroughly recommend this approach. There are also instruction DVDs.

In the meantime, hope someone can throw some links your way.

Cheers
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just take it step by step.

How do you think the tutorial-makers figured this stuff out? Maybe they watched other people's tutorials, and those people watched still other people, and it's turtles all the way down. Haha.

Use your curiosity, dive into it one tool at a time, try things out, read the help files, try some things, search the web, try some more things, etc. 

How do you think the "experts" learned what they know? Not just by watching other people do it all.

At some point you start to realize all those tutorial-makers are mostly kids showing off the latest trick they know, without understanding the underpinnings that make it so. And they tend to get stuck in rote cycles when the software changes under their feet.

Search for and read those tutorials, sure. But don't take them as gospel. Forge your own path, it isn't that hard.

https://polycount.com/discussion/171153/the-death-of-curiosity
  • Ka_Marchione
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Another alternative is learning online. Some time ago I was in the position you are now. Hunting for tutorials was difficult I just needed an explanation from start to finish. So after a long search I decided to take part in an online course. I picked one with Jon Rush. It was great and I thoroughly recommend this approach. There are also instruction DVDs.

In the meantime, hope someone can throw some links your way.

Cheers
    Hey kanga, by any chance that you have any link of what have you done?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dont have any links but it was on CGTalk.  Maybe they still have courses like that.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Intermediate level workflow covering the basics via Udemy:

Game Character Course - ZBrush to Substance Painter and more

And if you hadn't already check other libraries as well, Zbrush Central, Gumroad, Cubebrush, Flipped Normals, ArtStation, Substance Forums...etc.