Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Learning to sculpt full human figures.

Hey everyone,

I am just starting out in learning to sculpt and design in general and have started this male human model. Had a lot of difficulty getting the shape of a body down but managed to get to this point on my own. 

Was hoping for some feedback and tips that might help me improve. Thank you in advance to anyone willing to look it over. 

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    Assuming that you are going for realistic proportions, the average body is roughly seven and a half heads tall. Measuring by that will give you the position for some important landmarks, the position of the bellybutton is for example three heads down but yours is way lower than that. My advice would be to go back and fix the large proportion issues first :)  If you are using dynamesh then just keep to a low resolution for this stage, there´s no need for a dense mesh when doing the large shapes   https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1c/27/ef/1c27efea83185a4860269840ff18f9b6.jpg   - here are some measurement refs
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hey good start!
    Good advice from  JohannesAg.  To help with the proportions what you could do is get a copy of DAZ (its free) and pose one of their scanned figures and place that under your zBrush. Then use the transparent interface feature and look at how your model differs. 

When starting out its kind of hard to use dynamesh for characters because you are going to go too high rez too early and you cant flip between densities. I'd check out the zsphere method you'll be less likely to get a lumpy result.
  • Okamishinzou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JohannesAg and @kanga Thank you so much for the feedback. It is really appreciate it

I am going to go back to basics as I realize that I have tried to do too much too fast and created issues with my model. Proportion being a big part of that and also that I added too much detail too fast. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Try using a free app like DAZ for figure reference. Looks like you are using zBrush. Use the transparent interface with zBrush on top and DAZ underneath with one of the Genesis figures as a guid for your proportions.
  • marioffgallo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Kagan and Johan appointed try it to fix the proportions first, keeping the balance of the shapes the best you can. Characters need to be balanced and harmonic through the body, and the human shape is one of more complex shapes in nature, considering all the assymetries.

My advice, focus on get the proportions parts first, do not pay attention on details in the beggining, it would be better if you try to just use spheres and cylinders to blocking (I dont know if this is the correct term in english, if anyone could answer I will be grateful) the body parts (Spheres for head and junctions, cylinders to torso and limbs), get the overall shape of the sillhouette before using dynamesh to glue the parts. A good material to see just de sillhouete is flat color.

Change the pose too, the arms are much uplifted, this makes the shoulders\back\chest muscles change very much to sculpt, since you are learning probaly best scuplt with a relaxed pose, like this:

Hope that helps a bit.