Home General Discussion

Playstation 5 officially Announced for Holiday 2020

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1181544095950368768

PlayStation 5's new controller will feature haptic technology and will allow developers to adjust the resistance of its L2 and R2 triggers.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

Personally, I feel like it`s a little bit too early? Although, the PS4/XBONE gen has already been there for 7+ years, I  could`ve waited at least 2 more years before the next gen.

Anyone excited or thrilled? Perosnally, I'm sceptic and really wonders what new tech (visually at least) will be on the forefront.

This ending generation introduced various concepts and technology that weren`t as popular in the past due to limitation: Complex Shaders/ PBR, using Shaders to animate grass, particles,etc., better lighting, higher polygon count, 4K textures and resolution (with the enhanced version of each console), VR implementation, the list goes on.

Right now, the new craze seems to be ''Ray Tracing'' but those who know what ray tracing really knows that actual proper ray tracing or even path tracing is far too complex and process heavy right now to be rendered at 30/60 fps. What we'll mostly have is a half-baked version of it with workarounds and shortcuts to simulate light bouncing so it looks ''real'', same goes for real-time reflections...

While I heard some higher ups tlak about it at my place, we still haven`t seen any dev kit yet so I'm still waiting for more info! 
At E3, hopefully they'll uncover the whole thing.

Edit: Also Stadia is entering in the lot (however, I'm not sure how much weight it'll carry in the industry)...

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hm. I wonder what colour they're going to make it?
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    What Sony clearly didn't take into account with this announcement is the fact that my PS4 backlog is still about 10 miles long and I'm gonna need a little more time before they drop this crap on me. I JUST NEED TIME, MAN.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I'm still kind of hoping that some day one of the big 3 will incorporate a system-level way to turn OFF specific post effects like chromatic aberration, depth of field, motion blur, bloom lighting, etc. for those who don't like them (aside from frame rate probably the biggest reason to play on PC instead of consoles). Would also be great if there was a system-level feature for swapping the left and right stick input for left handed gamers (I'm not left handed myself but I've heard quite a few gamers that are over the years complaining about this).
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    well we really have enough info for me  to be excited about it yet, but I´m sure some neat stuff is bound to be in development. I don´t really care about the controller thing to be honest but I guess it´s cool. I don´t really know what to hope for expect better shaders/lighting and particle stuff really